First batch of cold smoked cheese.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GentlemanJerk

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2018
Bellefonte, PA
Recieved my A-MAZE-N and 80 lbs of pellets (hickory and black cherry) last week so it was time to try out some cold smoking! We had a particularly cold (and windy) weekend so I chunked up some provolone, sharp white cheddar, mozzarella sticks, Stilton and a small hunk of danish blue cheese to toss into my charcoal grill. I was doing a test so I smoked half the cheese for 2ish hours and the rest for 4ish hours using the hickory pellets. I state "ish" for the times since it was such a windy day that I had to continually close the vents in the grill to actually get any smoke to build up so the times may have been longer. Overall the cheese got a fairly light smoking with the blue cheese, cheddar and provolone getting the most color and flavor. I've attached pictures of the the start and finish of the cheese.

P.S. I am definitely going to smoke more blue cheese, that turned out amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_3255.JPG
    IMG_3255.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3257.JPG
    IMG_3257.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 46
Not sure of your location in PA but if you have an Aldi's close to you it's a cheese smokers friend. 8 ounce block of Wisconsin sharp cheddar are $1.69 they also have other 8oz block of varying types plus lots of other wedges. All priced much lower than that your local grocer.

I'm near State College, I think there is an Aldi's near Altoona which isn't too far away. I got this batch of cheese (minus the Stilton) from Sam's Club.

Your cheese looks really good!
It took on some nice color!
Don't need much smoke for cheese, so I bet yours will be very good!
Al

Reactions: Walchit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky