First Bacon in the new smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mudslinger2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Blackstone Ma
Hello everyone,

I thought I would share my first bacon experience in the newly completed smokehouse.

It all started at the beginning of the month with this tuff guy

Well he wasn't so tuff

So we stuck the bacon, hocks and the hams in Pop's Brine

38 degrees two weeks ready to dry

Into the smokehouse for two hours to dry

On The Smoke with Apple and Alder

8 hours in not getting the color I was looking for

16 hours on the smoke I think we got it

Time for a rest then slicing and packaging.

More to come and thanks for looking.

Mudslinger

Reactions: stovebolt
Mudslinger that looks great!!! very nice color,
drool.gif

Mud,

Awesome looking bacon there!!!! Great color!

I have found that with cold smoking, anywhere from 16-24 hours is my liking for bacon. I usually do it in 6-8 hour increments resting overnight in the fridge in between smokes. Will be watching for your BBB!

Dirt

Looks great. I will be watching for more.

Did you cold smoke? I didn't see where you said.

Hi Mudslingerf2,

That really looks great! I been thinking of doing some bacon but not comfortable with my knowledge level. I assume you cold smoked? What temps did you watch, what was your source of smoke (AMNPS?) and what wood did you use? I love hickory .......... will that work? One more question ....... I assume your used fresh pork bellies ..... is that true?

Great job on the bacon!  So glad you liked it!  Congratulations on your new smokehouse!  Thank you so much for the thread!  

Hi Mudslingerf2,

That really looks great! I been thinking of doing some bacon but not comfortable with my knowledge level. I assume you cold smoked? What temps did you watch, what was your source of smoke (AMNPS?) and what wood did you use? I love hickory .......... will that work? One more question ....... I assume your used fresh pork bellies ..... is that true?
Bw just jump right in. My knowledge level started August of this year when I happened upon this web site. I owe all my knowledge to this website and all members who have contributed any bit of info.

That Bacon was done with the help of all of you and one could not find a better resource .

For your questions Yes it was cold smoked for sixteen hours over the course of two days. I used apple and alder, hickory will work great also. Fresh Pork bellies, he was on the hoof and into the brine within 24 hours

WOWWWW... that little piggy sure had a lot of bellies... did you raise him or did you buy him ? .. how did you get the little guy to harbor so many bellies ? :biggrin:

all in all... looks GREATTTTTTTTT (Tony the Tiger vioce)....

WOWWWW... that little piggy sure had a lot of bellies... did you raise him or did you buy him ? .. how did you get the little guy to harbor so many bellies ?
biggrin.gif

all in all... looks GREATTTTTTTTT (Tony the Tiger vioce)....
LOL That little piggy grew up along side his fat brother.  We raised them from May to December

It looks like a lot but it was only 21 lbs

Wow nice job mudslinger! Now that's what I call "local sourcing" your food! Doing bacon in pops brine is on my list of things to do in 2014. Thanks for the pics to keep me focused.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky