First attempt at smoking chicken legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 4, 2015
I decided to change up my preferred choice of protein as the brisket had not completely thawed, and chicken legs and trying out 4 different rubs (3 new ones and one of our tried and true ones) to see which is best to our taste. Best part of all is my son has been wanting to learn how to cook, grill and smoke foods so we did this together. Tried a chicken leg rack and found the legs tend to fall off so we had to use some foil to hold them in place. (No string in the house). More photos when they are done . Anyone else have issues with the legs falling off the racks?
12968.jpeg

looks like your off to a good start, I never used racks I just lay them on the grates so I won't be any help there.

Reactions: Blues1
Same as Jim here I just put them on the racks.

I've often found that some of the "accessories" are just a way to get you to spend more money.

We rated them and number 3 scored best but we liked a couple of things from the others so, recorded it and listed the changes for next time. All were tender but one rub seemed to prevent the skin from crisping up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_165320522.jpg
    IMG_20200608_165320522.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200608_165315642.jpg
    IMG_20200608_165315642.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200608_165327619.jpg
    IMG_20200608_165327619.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200608_165324246.jpg
    IMG_20200608_165324246.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 12
What temperature setpoint did you use in that PitBoss shawnc?
My last chicken legs in a pellet cooker were a disaster. My thighs always come out OK.

What temperature setpoint did you use in that PitBoss shawnc?
My last chicken legs in a pellet cooker were a disaster. My thighs always come out OK.
225 degrees for about 4.5 hrs til it probed an IT of 165 in 6 of the pieces.

Was moist and everything was cooked. Next time would probably turn the temp up to 350+ for the last 30 minutes to crisp up the skin. not sure how sauce would effect the times as I have been solely trying to get the rubs dialed in still. Almost there with 3 different ones depending on what I want.

Reactions: bill1
why is it some eat chicken skin but balk at eating chicken feet??

They look really good. I want to try the rack next to just laying them on the grates and see which I like. Either way yours look really tasty!

I decided to change up my preferred choice of protein as the brisket had not completely thawed, and chicken legs and trying out 4 different rubs (3 new ones and one of our tried and true ones) to see which is best to our taste. Best part of all is my son has been wanting to learn how to cook, grill and smoke foods so we did this together. Tried a chicken leg rack and found the legs tend to fall off so we had to use some foil to hold them in place. (No string in the house). More photos when they are done . Anyone else have issues with the legs falling off the racks?View attachment 448682

I'm going to take a wild guess here:
It looks like the bottoms of the drums in the rack are touching the bottom of the Pan they're in, which takes the weight off of the end that is in the rack wire. I think what keeps them in the rack is when you slide them in the rack toward the thinner part of the tapered slot, and then pull down on them. Then their own weight keeps them there, but if the bottom of the Drum is sitting on the bottom of the pan, that pressure doesn't exist.

Just a Guess, going by your pictures. I never saw one of those racks close up.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky