First attempt at brisket with weber kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doohop65

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
I may be nuts but smoking a brisket on my weber for the first time. Read lots of info on hear and wanted to give it a try. Keeping the temp low is already proving to be a challenge(180 now). More pics to follow.

Ok smoke gods out there, time for a little q and a. I have been on for about 2 hours and the grill wants to settle in at 273. When I mess with it it drops like a rock and then I have to play to get it back up. Am I doing any harm to the meat just letting it go at 273? I am using lump charcoal and apple/maple wood for smoke. Any thoughts are appreciated.

275 is just about the perfect temp for a brisket. It looks like you have too much coal in there, try scaling back next timenwith that. I typically start with about 3/4 a chimney of unlit then add about 1/4 lit to it.

When you get it to the twmp you want, leave it alone. If it shoots too high, close the dampers , if its to cool, open them. I usually have the top wide open amd bottom about 1/4 open on my Weber.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Doohop the better you can shield off the coals the better, i used fire bricks and i like the smokenator concept as well... this is mod i did that has worked really well, i can keep 240 ish.   Good luck with the cook!
icon14.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139769/kettle-smokenator-charcoal-basket-mod

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. That first post should have said 280 not 180. I have just left it be and we are currently at 250. Will get get more pictures later when I put the meat probe in. So far so good though

I can't tell for sure the size of your weber. But, if it is the 22" then look on the net for "smokenator". I think it is the neatest accessory to my 22". It is easy to control the temps on long cooks. I swear by mine.

It is a 22 inch kettle. I will look into the smokenator.

Here is another picture. 5.5 hours in. Grill has been hanging out around 250 and I am letting it do it's thing. Put in another set of maple and apple chunks.

Put in meat probe and IT is at 163. Looks good so far.

This brisket will be as good, tender and tasty as any brisket done on the biggest fanciest smoker...I've said it before and i'll say it again... EVERYONE should have a kettle grill. 

Thanks for the kind words. Here is another question. She is running 202 IT but when I tried the toothpick test in the thickest part it was not super tender. Any thoughts, do I keep smoking or pull and wrap?

FYI. Windy as heck here today so temp has been jumping between 245 and 290. Maybe that is messing me up

Last edited:
I'd pull and wrap really well and put in a cooler...it'll continue to tenderize.     Was that a full packer?    

Off topic but i highly recommend getting either a PartyQ or Pitmaster IQ ( i have both) but it'll keep rock solid temps but you'll still want to do a wind block. 

Reactions: acres87
Yes. I am going to try and figure that out shortly. I was going to pull it and do that but my wife informed me I had flower garden to rototill for her first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky