First ABT’s on OK Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
Tried out some ABT’s before the holiday weekend. Cored them, wrapped with bacon, stuffed halved lil smokies and filling and put them in my new rack. Filling was just cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar and taco seasoning. Found out that I need to stagger the peppers in the rack so the ones in the center will cook as well. Had to take off the finished ones and rearrange the rest and keep smoking. Final product turned out great! Might try cooking the bacon halfway next time if I’m not smoking anything else at the time.

Attachments

• 11814CAA-138C-4178-B76D-088003BA6F3B.jpeg
    11814CAA-138C-4178-B76D-088003BA6F3B.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: SonnyE
Wow! You gave me a great idea!
Atomic Buffalo Turds stuffed with my Salmon dip.
I like Gary's idea of pre-cooking the bacon, too.
Bacon, crisp!
How long, or what IT do you cook these to?

Sonny, it took about 3.5 hrs to get them all finished because of the lack of spacing in the rack. Didn’t check internal temp, just cooked until the bacon was crispy. My guess on the IT would be around 500, haha, make sure you let them cool before biting into one.

Sonny, it took about 3.5 hrs to get them all finished because of the lack of spacing in the rack. Didn’t check internal temp, just cooked until the bacon was crispy. My guess on the IT would be around 500, haha, make sure you let them cool before biting into one.

LOL! 500, I bet so! And I would imagine still 450 the next day.... :eek:
I remember stuffed green peppers as a kid, but never Jalapenos. So being adventurous in my old age, I figured I'd like to try these.
Can they be reasonably done without a rack? Or is it something I should just "bite the bullet" and get?
My local Lowe's has an 18 rack for $10.

Based on your experience, Mark, I'm thinking 9 in this rack to get good spacing?

Amazon has a 36 for $8, that’s the one I have. I’ve seen guys cooking them without the rack and looks like they have no problems whatsoever. I mainly got the rack so I wouldn’t have to keep turning them and risking the bacon coming unwrapped. If you’re not using the rack, I’d halve the jalapeños first so the filling won’t run out of the end. The rack I bought came with a corer as well, it’s a great deal, I just ordered another so I can do the full 36.

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky