FIREBOX too big? How would I modify it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott m

Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I did a fourteen hour cook using a reverse flow smoker and noticed I was going through a lot of wood to maintain a temperature of 250F.  When the temperature would settle at 250F most of the wood had burned down too much.  I added pre-lit charcoal from a charcoal chimney and threw in slivers of cherry.  that seemed to work just fine.

the firebox is a 24" diameter by 22" deep.  I put firebricks in there to contain heat and make the box a little smaller and elevated the burn surface to keep air underneath and allow the ash and embers to fall. 

If you have a 24" diameter by 22" deep firebox how would you modify it to make it smaller so I don't have to burn so much to keep  250F all night.

I was thinking of putting a plate in the bottom and/or using whole paver bricks

Don't know if FB is to big or not... what does it have for air vents ?? not seeing any in the pics... might benefit from a upper air vent (in the door) to help pull the heat into the chamber ...

Also.. ask a mod to move this to the proper sub category .. being in Beef will not get the looks from most builders unless they see it on home page... move to Reverse Flow or side firebox

Last edited:
With a 24" FB, I would think that a charcoal basket would help a lot to keep your fire confined and not all spread out. Also, the upper air damper that Keith suggested will help.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out, Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky