fire box sizing and tuning plates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott straker

Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
I'm getting a 4' x 8' smoker but it doesn't have an  offset firebox, which I am going to have added.  How do I calculate how big it should be.  Plus, I'm reading about tuning plates.  Do they touch from front to back with gaps between them as they move away from the firebox?  Any help is appreciated.  No time to make a mistake now.  Thanks, Scott

Fire box 1/3 the volume of the cooking chamber works well....     Tuning plates, seal from side to side and at the FB end of the CC so as to direct all the heat and smoke under the plates...   The gap between the plates is used to adjust the heat on the food grate....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky