Finally, Top Round Perfection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
I haven't smoked a lot on the SmokeFire. My first efforts were discouraging and I'm trying to lose weight. Again.

Top round was on sale and I had a hankering. I bought a nice four-pounder and rubbed in some SPOG. Wrapped in butcher paper, it went into the fridge for a good night's sleep.

Next day, after five hours(!) at 225° F it finally hit the perfect 135° F internal temperature. It came out for a tin foil wrap and a 45 minute rest in a lukewarm pizza oven.

20230115_205152.jpg

It was warm and jiggly. I just had to cut into it for a peek inside.

20230115_225336.jpg

Sure, the presentation needs work but, wow! A wall of uniform pink through and through and not bloody. PERFECT for slicing!

20230115_230501.jpg

This... THIS is the meat I've been dreaming of. Yearning for. Warm. Tender. Juicy. It melts in your mouth and pops with flavor. Just perfect

I did a couple of double-cut, extra-thick pork chops and some chicken cutlets along with them. The chops were so good that my wife and I wolfed them down before I could snap a pix. The cutlets were toast and barely worthy of Daisy the Wonderdog but she's laughing.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did eating it!

Murph

Attachments

• 20230115_225336.jpg
    20230115_225336.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230115_225336.jpg
    20230115_225336.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I haven't smoked a lot on the SmokeFire. My first efforts were discouraging and I'm trying to lose weight. Again.

Top round was on sale and I had a hankering. I bought a nice four-pounder and rubbed in some SPOG. Wrapped in butcher paper, it went into the fridge for a good night's sleep.

Next day, after five hours(!) at 225° F it finally hit the perfect 135° F internal temperature. It came out for a tin foil wrap and a 45 minute rest in a lukewarm pizza oven.

View attachment 654738

It was warm and jiggly. I just had to cut into it for a peek inside.

View attachment 654740

Sure, the presentation needs work but, wow! A wall of uniform pink through and through and not bloody. PERFECT for slicing!

View attachment 654742

This... THIS is the meat I've been dreaming of. Yearning for. Warm. Tender. Juicy. It melts in your mouth and pops with flavor. Just perfect

I did a couple of double-cut, extra-thick pork chops and some chicken cutlets along with them. The chops were so good that my wife and I wolfed them down before I could snap a pix. The cutlets were toast and barely worthy of Daisy the Wonderdog but she's laughing.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did eating it!

Murph
Looks great. I love those affordable lean cuts. I just SPG them nd put in elecgric MB30 to 125 then chill and slice. IMG-3999.jpg

Reactions: BXMurphy
Man, that looks really good. Very nice job.

Feels good to finally reach nirvana, doesn't it Murph? BTDT with a few different things recently.

Robert
Surely does feel good to I finally get it right. After waiting all day for a decent cook and getting subpar results, ots discouraging. I'll happily take this W. Thanks!

Murph

Bring on the rye and horseradish sauce. I could eat that whole plate. I need to get off my tail and make my own lunch meat.

JIm

Reactions: BXMurphy
Looks great. I love those affordable lean cuts. I just SPG them nd put in elecgric MB30 to 125 then chill and slice.View attachment 654774
Thanks! Yeah, I was just going to pop the hunk into the slow cooker and call it good but, man, I spent $1,500 bucks on a nice smoker that's supposed to make good food easy enough. The meat was short money such that ruining it wouldn't draw tears while I chunked it down to Daisy nibbles.

Murph

Bring on the rye and horseradish sauce. I could eat that whole plate. I need to get off my tail and make my own lunch meat.

JIm
Thanks!

I found putting tender roast beef through the meat slicer to be a real challenge. I tried chilling it down and even 45 minutes in the freezer. I'll try a longer freeze next time.

Murph

Reactions: JLeonard
That looks perfect Murph! You nailed it for sure!
Keep knocking it out if the park! But if need any help reach out to chopsaw chopsaw he has his smokefire dialed in!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky