Finally joined up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunknun

Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Jacksonville Florida
Hello from North Florida! My name is Jonathan and I've been addicted to....oops wrong forum.
After two weeks of lurking, buying recipes, and reading newsletters I decided I might as well join. I'm most definitely a newb to using a smoker but I feel like most of what I know so far has came from reading the wealth of knowledge put out by you guys.

My wife decided to finally get me the Oklahoma joe highland I've been eyeballing at lowes for an early birthday present about 3 weeks ago. I never knew there was such a steep learning curve to smoking meat. I coulda swore all I had to do was start a fire put meat in and if I was pumpin out smoke like a freight train then I was smokin some meat and good to go. LITTLE DID I KNOW.... Thank god I figured I'd start cheap and throw some chicken breasts on and see what happened. I never knew my tongue could go so numb...

I started looking up what it was I did wrong and found T-Roy cooks on YouTube and in a video he was talking about "thin blue smoke" and how you don't wanna get to much smoke going cause you'll get preasoot and it can make your tongue go numb....I realized he just gave my numb tongue syndrome a name. So I rewound the video....over....and over trying to figure out what the heck the word he said was, so I started googling what I thought it sounded like but couldn't find anything. I figured I at least had the soot part right cause that kinda made sense to me. After playing that 3 second bit about 10 times over and over my wife came in and asked me why in the world I keep playing it over and over. So I told her I couldn't figure out the word he gave for our numb tongues, and she had me rewind it and immediately told me "he's saying creosote....how can you not understand that?" I was like no....you're not right cause your word doesn't say soot on the end and I was pretty sure I had that part figured out. She told me to google it....she was right.

Since that fateful tongue numbing night I've smoked a butt and some chicken quarters and everything turned out at least halfway decent thanks to you guys and YouTube.

Last edited:
Jonathan, welcome to SMF!  Entertaining story!  And you learned your first and best lesson: not all smoke is good smoke.  Nothing beats experience and places to find answers.  Glad you are here and learning your new smoker.

Have fun!

Ray

Welcome to the forum!!! Congratulations on your new OK Joe smoker. That smoker will need a few modifications to really up your smoking game! As you might have noticed, there are lots of leaks, those really need to be sealed up. Temps are all over the place, and best thing to add is a convection plate, this will help level off the temps in the cooking chamber. Just do a search in the forum for Oklahoma Joe modifications.

Have fun!!

Also forgot to mention.....take Jeff's 5 day smoke course, it's free!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I did the five day course last week and learned a good bit. I haven't got the convection plate yet so I've just been wrapping the firebox grates in aluminum and using them in somewhat the same fashion. It's done pretty decent at keeping my temps within about 5 degrees between both sides of the cook chamber. My gasket material came in yesterday so I cleaned it all up and applied that and forced myself to follow the 12-24 hour wait instructions before reseasoning everything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky