FINALLY found my "old school" cheeseburger!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Where I'm from, there were no fast food chains (at least until I left in 1969), but there WERE a couple of Mom/Pop burger joints that served GREAT burgers...juicy, not too thick and with crispy edges...the kind you had to lean over your plate to eat so it wouldn't drip down your front.

I'd heard about "smash burgers" many times, but never took the time to find out what they actually ARE until a couple of days ago when I got into the weeds while on YouTube and finally decided to take a look.

So I broke out my 15" CI pan, got it screaming hot and smashed away...2 thin but somehow-still-juicy patties with beautiful crispy edges and a brown "crust", 2 slices of cheese melted on top of each, a little bit of onion and a dab or two of mustard on a toasted bun later and I was in cheeseburger heaven (I think I might have heard the angels sing :emoji_wink:!).

I know this has NOTHING to do with smoking, but I'm still stunned by just how close this was to my beloved old-school cheeseburger...now, to figure out how best to make this happen on my Smokey Joe (I "do" have the small Vortex, so hope springs eternal!).

As you were...

Where I'm from, there were no fast food chains (at least until I left in 1969), but there WERE a couple of Mom/Pop burger joints that served GREAT burgers...juicy, not too thick and with crispy edges...the kind you had to lean over your plate to eat so it wouldn't drip down your front.

I'd heard about "smash burgers" many times, but never took the time to find out what they actually ARE until a couple of days ago when I got into the weeds while on YouTube and finally decided to take a look.

So I broke out my 15" CI pan, got it screaming hot and smashed away...2 thin but somehow-still-juicy patties with beautiful crispy edges and a brown "crust", 2 slices of cheese melted on top of each, a little bit of onion and a dab or two of mustard on a toasted bun later and I was in cheeseburger heaven (I think I might have heard the angels sing :emoji_wink:!).

I know this has NOTHING to do with smoking, but I'm still stunned by just how close this was to my beloved old-school cheeseburger...now, to figure out how best to make this happen on my Smokey Joe (I "do" have the small Vortex, so hope springs eternal!).

As you were...
Glad you found your old school burger!

Yeah those types of burgers are great. I guess you can get a CI flat gridle plate for the grills. Once the thing is good and hot you know what to do :D

Reactions: SherryT
No griddle here but the only way I can get that old-school burger experience is with some 80/20 Chuck in a very hot cast iron skillet.

I miss the old days...

Reactions: SherryT
Glad you found your old school burger!

Yeah those types of burgers are great. I guess you can get a CI flat gridle plate for the grills. Once the thing is good and hot you know what to do :D
You just reminded me - I have a cast iron griddle in a closet. Time to get that baby out and use it in my fire pit! Thanks for the reminder.

I was GOING to order the 22" Blackstone on Amazon for $128 (I "am", after all, a tool junkie!), but I drug my feet too long watching some guy on YT tell me how to season the thing and it sold out.

GAH!

So I broke out my 15" CI pan, got it screaming hot and smashed away...2 thin but somehow-still-juicy patties with beautiful crispy edges and a brown "crust",
That is the magic of the Maillard reaction.
My question, "what do you all want for dinner?" Answer... "burgers"
I do ours on the blackstone after rendering bacon and lighty browning onions. Toast the buns with mayo and it's off to the races.

I was GOING to order the 22" Blackstone on Amazon for $128 (I "am", after all, a tool junkie!), but I drug my feet too long watching some guy on YT tell me how to season the thing and it sold out.

GAH!
Walmart had them that price too. Not sure if they still do

OK, I'm thinking if I use my small Vortex in my Smokey Joe, it'll get my round CI griddle hot enough?

My biggest concern doing this on the SJ is the legs...not as sturdy as I'd like if exerting the pressure/movement while smashing the meat.

You could try an electric counter top griddle for $30 or so and get the same effect. It'll give you the freedom to see how much h you'll actually use a griddle before investing in a big outdoor one

OK, I'm thinking if I use my small Vortex in my Smokey Joe, it'll get my round CI griddle hot enough?

My biggest concern doing this on the SJ is the legs...not as sturdy as I'd like if exerting the pressure/movement while smashing the meat.
You could get your coals ready, dump them in the Vortex, and pre-heat your CI on top of the vortex. If you're worried about the Weber's legs, take the hot CI and put it on a couple of bricks, throw your burgs on the CI, smash them and put it back over the Vortex. To be honest, you could probably get them the way you want with a hot CI sitting on the bricks after preheating. Those jokers take no time to cook, and CI hold heat a long time.

Dave

Reactions: bauchjw and SherryT
In advance of a trip to Miami, I found out about the Cuban Frita... After I had one in West Miami, I was hooked. Bought a Blackstone so that I could make them at home, and also to do smashburgers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky