Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aloha Bearcarver,

Thanks for providing us with the process, especially the temperature bump ups.  I will definitely give this a try on the next batch of Salmon I do. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Bearcarver;

Next time you are doing smoked salmon, smoke it within 2 days of when it is caught. I think you will see an unbelievable difference in taste when using fresh salmon.
Salmonking,

You didn't read my post?

I don't want to cook it to 160˚, so that leaves me one other alternative---The one I noted---Here it is again:

I have also read that there are two ways to eliminate parasites that are said to be in all fish. You must either cook the fish to over 160 degrees, or freeze for at least 30 days at Zero degrees or below. Since I only want to smoke my Salmon & not cook them, I chose to freeze mine to 0 degrees for 30 days or more before smoking.

Bearcarver

Yeah, and then call me so I can come over and make the comparison. I wouldn't' want you to have to do all the sacrificing eating all that salmon. LOL
LOL, wouldn't take long from Red Hill!

Thanks,

Bear

Aloha Bearcarver,

Thanks for providing us with the process, especially the temperature bump ups.  I will definitely give this a try on the next batch of Salmon I do. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Thanks Old poi dog,

The next Salmon I get (or my son gets for me) will be smoked with the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER, so the only thing that will change will be the bumping up a little at a time. My reason for doing that was to keep my MES 30 element on more often, instead of running it up, and then just sitting there without any smoke, because the MES holds it's heat so good. Now it won't matter how I control the heat. Everything is so much easier with that little guy!

Bear

Well i finally have a day off tomorrow with nothing to do but to try out my new used smoker that ive been modifying over the last week or so, and wanting to try something new instead of the basic brown sugar brine i figured id give this one a go as after looking over a large number of recipes this one was best documented and easiest to follow so my salmon is sitting in the brine as i type and ill be up bright and early(4am-ish) to pull it out so it has time to dry before going on the smoker for a few hours. ill be sure to post up once its done.

well turned out great and we had company for dinner so a good 75% of the 2 fillets is now gone, good easy writeup to follow and now i have an idea of what still needs work on my smoker, only difference was my starting temp was about 130*F as i couldnt get it any lower and max was about 189*F

Sat in Brine from12AM-530AM (5.5Hrs)

Sat on rack in fridge after brine from 530AM-115PM

Smoked from 115PM-6PM

Real glad you liked it Cody!

LOL----I make my instructions easy for all, including me, as I like to follow easy directions too, once I get it right. 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I just got back on line---My ISP was out for 47 straight hours!

Bear

I just pulled some Steelhead out of the smoker. This is the best recipe I've ever tried for fish. I didn't take any pics. You guys know what smoked fish looks like.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thank you for the recipe.  I had a little trouble getting smoke on my propane Smokey Mountain so I had to bump my heats up a little.  Next time I'll crank it up at the start and get the smoke going real good before I put the fish in.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

Real glad you liked it.

Yeah, my times & temps were to keep my MES smoking the best I could. Your propane smoker & other types have to do whatever tricks they use to keep pumping that smoke. The next Salmon I get will be hammered with beautiful smoke from one of my "A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS".

Thanks for the nice comments,

Bear

Thanks, BC, for the recipe. I've been pursuing the process of making lox at home for a while now and wondered if that is what you made since you go to such lengths to make sure you don't actually cook the fish flesh..

Growing up, we had what we called lox, which was salty, and there was nova (for Nova Scotia-style), which was mild and smoked. But both have the consistency of raw salmon. We called both "smoked salmon". Nowadays, if you order "lox", you get nova and have to ask for "salty lox" or "belly lox" to get what used to be just plain old lox. I've since found that plain lox is brine cured, nova is brine cured then cold smoked. American lox originated when the Pacific northwest was settled and salmon would be shipped back east in barrels of sea water. My ancestors on the lower east side of NYC combined this cheap fish with cream cheese (to cut the salt) and boiled dough (bagels). European grav lax is a different matter - dry cured.

Brine curing is easy. For a one pound filet (with or without skin - it's fine either way), mix two cups of water with one cup of kosher (or other non-iodized salt). You can add some sugar,  dill, fresh cracked pepper or other flavor enhancers, but I like mine straight. Bag the filet in the brine and refrigerate at least overnight. Longer doesn't hurt since the salt gets absorbed in the process. More fish requires more brine mixture. Remove it from the brine, pat dry with paper towels and let sit in the fridge to dry for a couple of hours. Slice thinly against the grain and serve on a bagel with cream cheese. Heaven.

What I'm wondering is, if I start with my "belly lox" and smoke it as you suggest, am I making nova? Or does it take on more of the consistency of Alaskan smoked salmon?

Nova/Nova Lox isn't anything like this. That stuff is lightly brined and cold smoked, and can be spread on a cracker or a bagel.

I don't use the temps & times to avoid cooking. I use them to keep them in there long enough to get a lot of smoke on them, as I love Salmon (and everything else) very smokey. My Smoked Salmon ends up dry enough to put in a zip-lock bag & take with you fishing, but it still is a bit moist inside. It is meant to be a hold in your hand snack.

Bear

Great post Bearcarver. Will definitely will try this. Don't have a MES, but I'm still gonna try. Just bring my smoker up slowly. Thanks for the post and the pics.

points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hey Bear...

The below is from a different thread... (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/98732/smoking-salmon#post_542786) #5
Hey Bear... what does that mean.. "Smokem Hard". Like a fish jerky maybe?? Sounds interesting.
Smoke_Chef,

Not really "fish jerky", but not what you would eat as a meal. Click on "Smoked Salmon" in my signature, at the bottom of all of my posts to see.

Bear

So... given that the above method is for a "hold in your hand snack" do you have any thoughts on a "smoke and serve for dinner" type salmon? Probably served with garlic mashed potatoes, oven roasted green beans, and homemade rolls. Or is that a whole other tutorial? Maybe 8 more full smokers worth of experimentation? Just thought I would ask.

Hey Bear...

The below is from a different thread... (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/98732/smoking-salmon#post_542786) #5

Smoke_Chef,

Not really "fish jerky", but not what you would eat as a meal. Click on "Smoked Salmon" in my signature, at the bottom of all of my posts to see.

Bear

So... given that the above method is for a "hold in your hand snack" do you have any thoughts on a "smoke and serve for dinner" type salmon? Probably served with garlic mashed potatoes, oven roasted green beans, and homemade rolls. Or is that a whole other tutorial? Maybe 8 more full smokers worth of experimentation? Just thought I would ask.
The Salmon I get from NY aren't really the best for that kind of cooking, so I never really got into it.

However there are a lot of really good looking smoke/cooked Salmon posts on this forum, in fact very few do the harder smoked Salmon like I do, so I would say most of the others would be the "Dinner" type. Cowgirl & Irish Teabear are two I know of. Erain has some good ones out there too.

Bear

For Labor Day, we took a 2 lb salmon fillet and spritzed it with lemon juice and sprinkled it with a salt free spice called "Dilly" or some such thing and cracked fresh pepper, then baked it in the smoker using applewood at 325 until the meat just started to flake. I . The salmon picks up the smoke flavor really well. It was probably the best salmon I'd ever eaten (if I do say so myself). Simple and well worth it.

Howdy Bear!

So after my trip last week to Calumet Fisheries for some superb smoked salmon, I decided to poke around here for what The Princess can do in her Own Castle and lo-and-behold this is what I find!! Looks great!

Have you had a chance yet to try this with your AMAZ-N-SMOKER?  I am hoping to get my AMS from Todd here soon, and this may be what I inaugerate my new toy with.  I got a guy who ships in Alaskan Salmon that literally gets frozen on the boat it is caught on and sent to us here in the MidWest. I'm kinda excited....

Lemme know...

-S

Bearcarver,

Can't wait to put all of your efforts to work for me! My brothers, father & I just returned from a one day charter trip in western Michigan with some beautiful steelhead and king salmon. After grilling up some fresh tonight I needed the plan for smoking the rest. Greatly appreciate the steps from frozen/thawed/smoked as I will have to smoke next weekend.

points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great stuff, thanks again.

Tim

Bearcarver,

Can't wait to put all of your efforts to work for me! My brothers, father & I just returned from a one day charter trip in western Michigan with some beautiful steelhead and king salmon. After grilling up some fresh tonight I needed the plan for smoking the rest. Greatly appreciate the steps from frozen/thawed/smoked as I will have to smoke next weekend.

points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great stuff, thanks again.

Tim
Thanks a lot Tim!

Let us know how it turns out--So far no complaints.

Bear

hey  bear... great post!

I have been smoking salmon for many years and never even heard of parisites that I should be worried about.  my brineing procedure is much different ( I actually only brine for about 8 minutes) but it was handed down from an native family that I knew.  if you would like I can share the brine and smoking procedure.  might be interesting for future experimentation. 

about the parisites...   what are they and are they geographical or just everywhere?   I konw for example that our salmon has much lower mercury content than any where else in the world.  so much so that pregnant women are instructed to stay away from salmon except fresh caught alaska salmon...   just wondering if the parisites you were talking about are present here? 

I have cold smoked and hot smoked salmon.  the cold smoked was taken fresh out of the water and brined and smoked for about 2 weeks never above 75-80 so this would seem to be a dangerous process if the parisites are present. 

thanks for your input

dalton

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky