Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the information and recipe, your notes on temperature is extremely helpful. Let you know how it turns out.

Great post. My wife's been asking me to try some salmon. I appreciate all the note taking to get the process right! Points and thanks!
points.gif

Thank You very much.
The people on here taught me a lot. I'm glad I can return the favor with some outstanding Smoked Salmon.
Let me know how you like it.

Bearcarver

graybeard,
Thank You very much for the points !

Bearcarver

Make sure I hear how your next Salmon smoke comes out!

Thanks Steve,
LOL---It took me awhile too.
Took me 8 batches to perfect it, and a long time to type it with ONE FINGER !
icon_redface.gif

Actually I'm getting pretty fast typing with that right index finger! It seems to be getting a brain of it's own.

I was hoping it might help a lot of Salmon Smokers out there,
Bearcarver

Looks like something I will have to try. Thanks for the detailed recipe, tips and pics. Posts like this make it a little nicer for us newbies.

time for my first stupid question.  Have followed instructions to great results but now that fresh is in season I'd like to turn it up a notch.  Using an MES and having trouble getting it to smoke at early temps?  My idea for the next smoke is to turn it up high get it smoking bring temp back down for cooking.  Is this what you all do or is there some other way to get smoke going at low temp? 

Thanks!

time for my first stupid question.  Have followed instructions to great results but now that fresh is in season I'd like to turn it up a notch.  Using an MES and having trouble getting it to smoke at early temps?  My idea for the next smoke is to turn it up high get it smoking bring temp back down for cooking.  Is this what you all do or is there some other way to get smoke going at low temp? 

Thanks!
Not a stupid question, but that's not a good idea. It would defeat the low & slow smoking purpose, and on the way back down from that high temp the element would be off, and the wood would stop smoking again. That is the biggest problem with the MES---smoking at low temps. I used to bump it up in stages, in other words, if I wanted to go from 100˚ to 160˚, I would go to 120˚ for awhile, then 140˚ for awhile, then to 160˚, instead of all at once. This way the element would get hot 3 times, causing the would to begin to smoke 3 times, instead of only once from the big move from 100˚ to 160˚.

Then I got smart and got an "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER". No more problem---I can now even make it smoke with the MES unplugged. I can smoke light, medium, or heavy, without heat having much to do with it.

Check this out:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/index.html

Glad you liked my Smoked Salmon recipe,

Bearcarver

Bearcarver,

Great Job My Friend!

I had a buddy make some "Salmon Jerky" and it was to die for.  Basically like your method, but thinner strips.  This stuff was like candy.

Todd

Smoked Salmon...Great stuff.  Thanks for the tutorial.  I like the idea of letting the pellicle form overnight in the fridge.  Living in Hawaii, I get kinda spooked when i leave the fish out unrefrigerated to form the pellicle.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thank You All for the nice comments,

This is what I was hoping for. When I wanted to do some real Smoked Salmon, I searched this forum, other forums, and the whole internet to find what I was looking for. I tried about 3 different ones, and tried juggling their instructions. Nobody had a really good step by step method for making this type of "hard smoked", "hold in your hand" Smoked Salmon. It took me 8 batches, over 100 pounds of Salmon to perfect this recipe.

So now I took all of my notes, and put it all in order for others to be able to not have to do all of the "hit & miss" stuff that I went through. I threw all of my 18 pages of notes away & only kept this Final Recipe for myself too. Now I am ready for the big New York Salmon run in October. No more experimenting needed by me----Just "Git-er-done".

There may be those who don't like this type of hard smoked Salmon, but I sure do.

Bearcarver

Your testing me insipred to to go fishing at my local aldi for some salmon.   I know its not the same but its the best I could do for now.

I am suppose to be invited on a Lake Michigan trip here in a few weeks for some fresh stuff.

I have caught 4 springers this year, and smoked two using your brine. They came out great. I smoke mine different, because we like ours a little dryer, and the were in smoke 2 days after they were caught.

Last edited:
Bearcarver;

Next time you are doing smoked salmon, smoke it within 2 days of when it is caught. I think you will see an unbelievable difference in taste when using fresh salmon.

Bearcarver;

Next time you are doing smoked salmon, smoke it within 2 days of when it is caught. I think you will see an unbelievable difference in taste when using fresh salmon.
Yeah, and then call me so I can come over and make the comparison. I wouldn't' want you to have to do all the sacrificing eating all that salmon. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky