Fillet Mignon (whole tenderloin) in Jeffs Cook book.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Western Massachusetts
First time doing a whole beef tenderloin.
20210605_021632.jpg
20210605_021658.jpg
Gonna follow the recipe in Jeffs book with 8 honeycrisp apples on the coals. My tenderloin is 7lbs or less; I'm gonna start at 7am with plans to serve around 2:30-3pm.

Any tips are appreciated, more pics to follow of course.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

All sliced up, this tenderloin is longer than I thought. Its gonna have to hang over my pan when I get it on the smoker lol.

Attachments

• 20210605_025953.jpg
    20210605_025953.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210605_031331.jpg
    20210605_031331.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 62
How was it? It's hard too beat a big'ol 2'' thick chunk of filet, the stuff can be like butter when it's done up right.

How was the flavor profile of Jeff's recipe? Honest opinion, would you use it again?

How was it? It's hard too beat a big'ol 2'' thick chunk of filet, the stuff can be like butter when it's done up right.

How was the flavor profile of Jeff's recipe? Honest opinion, would you use it again?
It was good, almost melted like butter, everyone loved it. Only down side is the damn butcher forgot to remove the silver skin. I saved the juices to drizzle over the top, next time I'll reduce the sauce so it's a bit thicker. I would use this recipe again but probably go with half the size, I'm gonna have to freeze some leftovers...its a good problem to have lol.

It’s real hard to remove all the silver skin without cutting out about 1/3 of the meat & just leaving the center muscle. It’s a challenge & I sometimes just cook the whole tenderloin, or cut it into steaks without any trimming, or trim it up & slice it into perfect filet mignons. Then grind the scraps with a little pork for some awesome burgers!
Al

Reactions: Smoking at 4am
It’s real hard to remove all the silver skin without cutting out about 1/3 of the meat & just leaving the center muscle. It’s a challenge & I sometimes just cook the whole tenderloin, or cut it into steaks without any trimming, or trim it up & slice it into perfect filet mignons. Then grind the scraps with a little pork for some awesome burgers!
Al
That's awesome Al, wish I thought about that before I trimmed up the leftovers and threw them away. Always a pleasure hearing your side of things, always valuable information.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky