• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fillet Mignon (whole tenderloin) in Jeffs Cook book.

Joined Apr 23, 2021
First time doing a whole beef tenderloin.
20210605_021632.jpg
20210605_021658.jpg
Gonna follow the recipe in Jeffs book with 8 honeycrisp apples on the coals. My tenderloin is 7lbs or less; I'm gonna start at 7am with plans to serve around 2:30-3pm.

Any tips are appreciated, more pics to follow of course.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Did you cut it with a hatchet? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
looks like it's going to be a tasty meal,

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
How was it? It's hard too beat a big'ol 2'' thick chunk of filet, the stuff can be like butter when it's done up right.

How was the flavor profile of Jeff's recipe? Honest opinion, would you use it again?

Joined Apr 23, 2021
How was it? It's hard too beat a big'ol 2'' thick chunk of filet, the stuff can be like butter when it's done up right.

How was the flavor profile of Jeff's recipe? Honest opinion, would you use it again?
It was good, almost melted like butter, everyone loved it. Only down side is the damn butcher forgot to remove the silver skin. I saved the juices to drizzle over the top, next time I'll reduce the sauce so it's a bit thicker. I would use this recipe again but probably go with half the size, I'm gonna have to freeze some leftovers...its a good problem to have lol.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It’s real hard to remove all the silver skin without cutting out about 1/3 of the meat & just leaving the center muscle. It’s a challenge & I sometimes just cook the whole tenderloin, or cut it into steaks without any trimming, or trim it up & slice it into perfect filet mignons. Then grind the scraps with a little pork for some awesome burgers!
Al

Joined Apr 23, 2021
It’s real hard to remove all the silver skin without cutting out about 1/3 of the meat & just leaving the center muscle. It’s a challenge & I sometimes just cook the whole tenderloin, or cut it into steaks without any trimming, or trim it up & slice it into perfect filet mignons. Then grind the scraps with a little pork for some awesome burgers!
Al
That's awesome Al, wish I thought about that before I trimmed up the leftovers and threw them away. Always a pleasure hearing your side of things, always valuable information.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.