Fibrous Casing Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, OH
I went to get some casings for summer sausage today and they had the clear casings, and also the usually brown casings that you usually see.

The only difference I could see was the price, and the clear ones were cheaper. Could anyone tell me what the difference is, or if one is better than the other?

I've used the brown ones in the past, but opted for the clear this time. Hope I made the right choice.

Shouldn't be an issue. One looks like SS should, the other shows the meat inside of it. Once you smoke it, the clear will have an amber color to them as well.

Shouldn't be an issue. One looks like SS should, the other shows the meat inside of it. Once you smoke it, the clear will have an amber color to them as well.

That's what I was thinking. The snack stick casings were clear and they took on that reddish brown color after being smoked. I would expect these to do the same. I'm glad I went the cheaper route

Just make sure they are smoke permeable.  There are some that are not, but most are.  If you are not going to smoke the sausage, then that does not matter though.

Ditto with CB & DW.

Note: neither the fibrous, synthetic are edible. You may see a thin flat string like in the casing, this is to help the weight. Some have very small holes in the side of the casings. Stick collagen is normally edible being clear. clear smoked or mahogany.

Ditto with CB & DW.

Note: neither the fibrous, synthetic are edible. You may see a thin flat string like in the casing, this is to help the weight. Some have very small holes in the side of the casings. Stick collagen is normally edible being clear. clear smoked or mahogany.

I knew the fibrous were inedible, but are you saying they name a collagen edible casing for summer sausage?

I knew the fibrous were inedible, but are you saying they name a collagen edible casing for summer sausage?
the collagen stick casings are edible.

If you look around you may find larger chub style edible collagen, been while since i seen any though.

Okay, that's what I thought you meant. I haven't seen and chub style in edible form. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Edible chub collagen is getting hard to find.

Speaking of hard to find, the weather here this morning is 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm gonna have to find some warmer weather before I can fire up my smoker again.

Speaking of hard to find, the weather here this morning is 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm gonna have to find some warmer weather before I can fire up my smoker again.
thats way to cold for me

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky