Fermenting Jalapeno's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Finally got my fermenting kit in,
The kit has a pump, 3 fermenting lids for large mouth and 3 glass weights plus instruction book with a few fermenting recipes.

172G fine sea salt. I didnt use the pink afterall. This is for 1 gallon of distilled water for the brine.
I dissolved the sea salt in 1 qt warm distilled water and added this back to the gallon.
IMG_1757.JPG

Wash the jalapeno's they are dirty.
IMG_0399.JPG

Rinsed the ferment lids and set aside.
IMG_9930.JPG

Sanitize the jars and weights.
IMG_7315.JPG

When my brine cools i will be back to show the rest

Nice. I fermented a bunch of green beans and pickling cukes this year, but have not tried jalapenos. I have a jalapeno plant with a few peppers left I'll try fermenting. Since I started fermenting, I really don't enjoy vinegar pickles much any more.

Same here. Seems like the vinegar over powers the taste of the item your pickling.
I been looking at lots of vids on lacto fermenting veggies, salsa and all sorts of things.

Reactions: Will Squared
Let us know how those lids work? I wanted to order the same kit because I want the included weights.

Ended up using an airlock from a beer supply store and drilling a hole through the mason jar lid.

73saint 73saint
Tell me about the vac bag fermentation.
And are you guys using any starter culture?

My last attempt failed to ferment.
And I used two different starters.
I just followed chillichumps recipe; peppers and garlic, along with 2% salt, vac sealed and in a cabinet for desired amount of time. Well see how it goes.

Got the salt brine cooled finally.

Cut the japs and put in the jars. Pack them a little snug. Pour brine in and place the weight down.
Pressing down the weight removes and trapped air between the slices. Its ok if brine flows over the weight, remove as many seeds as you can that float to the top. Wipe the rim of the jar off.
IMG_7269.JPG

The lids have a sliding date set so you know what day you started.
IMG_1561.JPG

Now evac the top air out, if liquid comes out thats ok.
IMG_0595.JPG

My dates are set know in a cool place between 60-70* for a 5-7days. Brine may turn cloudy.
Any fermenting gas will escape thru the top one way valve.
IMG_9148.JPG

BBL

These are lacto fermented.

If improperly fermented you can develop kahm yeast in the peppers, it wont hurt you but it looks nasty.
No fermentation agent used. Just pur sea salt and distilled water. The brine will work with the enzymes in the peppers and start to ferment into lactic acid.

Got the salt brine cooled finally.

Cut the japs and put in the jars. Pack them a little snug. Pour brine in and place the weight down.
Pressing down the weight removes and trapped air between the slices. Its ok if brine flows over the weight, remove as many seeds as you can that float to the top. Wipe the rim of the jar off.
View attachment 466904

The lids have a sliding date set so you know what day you started.
View attachment 466905

Now evac the top air out, if liquid comes out thats ok.
View attachment 466907

My dates are set know in a cool place between 60-70* for a 5-7days. Brine may turn cloudy.
Any fermenting gas will escape thru the top one way valve.
View attachment 466906

BBL
I really like those lids.

How do you plan to vent without possible contamination?
The videos I’ve seen usually show them prick the bag with a pin then reseal or stop fermenting, or change bags but that seems messy. I made sure and used a big enough bag hopefully by the time it’s expanded fully I can roll to the next step.

I tried other fermentation bubblers (messy) flip top sealed jars but air still got in. If you use just regular mason jar lids you will need to burp the jars every day, this will allow air into the jar and could cause yeast to form.

For the best results you need fermenting lids like i use or pickle pipe lids. You will also need glass weights. They are essential for keeping the veggies under the brine. Use the type with a top grab knob. I used glass papered chef small glass bowls but the veggies popped up beside the bowl.

I have an 8 pack of fermenting pickle pipe lids coming. 4 pickle pipe lids and 4 glass weights.

Anyone tried to find mason jars lately? Wally is out at the stores in all sizes. Rural King has other brand jars in wide mouth and regular the last time i was there. Had 6 pallets of them, guess i need to drive to Bonita Springs.

I also been looking for a bread making machine. Nobody has them in stock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky