1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fermented peppers question

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by atomicsmoke, Sep 22, 2018.

1. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I know i can google this....but i would rather hear from our own pros here.

Never made fermented peppers and never ate them.

Other than the benefits of fermented foods, why would one ferment peppers? How do you eat them? How do you make/store them? Does it work with sweet peppers?

Thank you

2. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Lactofermentation, be sure to use distilled water.

3. atomicsmoke

Cool...that's all i needed to know....not. Lol

4. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Just here to help and offer my suggestions. I'm not a know it all like some.

5. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Check U-Tube lots of good videos.I have 2 half gallons of Reaper sauce going now.
    100_7415.JPG

MeatSkull likes this.
  6. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Atomic, morning... I have fermented cabbage and pickles.. maybe other stuff also but my memory is slipping...
    it's another process to preserve foods without vinegar.. Uses natural acids formed by bacteria(or something)... I like the clean taste/flavor... Cleanliness is mandatory..
    Here's my kraut attempt... It turned out awesome...
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fermenting-kraut.132186/
    https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fermenting-kraut-part-2-follow-up-7-30-14.133850/

I learned you don't want to SUPER clean the veggies as the good bacteria is living on it...

7. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic

Fermented peppers can be eaten right out of the jar, finished with vinegar to make them shelf stable then chopped into relish, ground into sauce or if using hot peppers hot sauce or enjoyed whole on sandwiches, burgers with cheeses in soups stews. Really however you want.

As for the distilled water comment. Tap, filtered, distilled, deionized any potable water can be used w/o fear of something detrimental happening to the fermentation process.

8. atomicsmoke

Thank you Holly2015.
    Some recipes i saw say i can move them to a cool place for storage. However you said they need vinegar to be shelf stable.
    Won't the fermentation alone make them shelf stable (like saurkraut)? I am thinking of feementing other vegs as well (carrots, cauliflower)? Do you see any problem fermenting all together?

Does size of the fermenting vessel matter? Can i go for gallon size?

9. Holly2015

Fermentation alone will not make it shelf stable. Vinegar gets the PH to a level where nasties won't grow making it shelf stable and no need for refrigeration. If you don't want to use vinegar after fermentation you simply need to store in the fridge and eat the product in a couple of weeks.

Sauerkraut after fermentation typically gets canned to keep it from spoiling and make it shelf stable. It is not shelf stable by itself.

Fermentation vessel as long as it is non-reactive will work. I prefer glass or glazed ceramic over plastic as plastic can absorb flavors and then leech them out into the next batch. Size of the vessel is irrelevant. Just make sure whatever you are fermenting stays submerged under the 3% salt water solution

You can ferment different vegetables in the same vessel at the same time. Not sure how the end product will be but if I were to try it I'd probably ferment similar density vegetables like carrots and radishes.

I'd also suggest getting rubber bungs, plastic lids and airlocks like shown in Tropics reaper sauce pictures. For a few dollar investment it makes the fermentation process a set it and forget it.

10. atomicsmoke

Thank you Holly2015. Good info.

I am sorry but i disagree about the saurkraut. It does not need to be canned (process that cancels most benefits of fermentation). It will keep for a long time in a cool place (above fridge temps but less than room temps). I grew up with saurkaut from the cold cellar.

11. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Chlorine kills bacteria.

12. Holly2015

I posted typically it gets canned not it has or needs to get canned.

13. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

I keep mine in steralized glass in my upstairs fridge along with my pickles.

14. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Looks good~!

15. Holly2015

No one is arguing that chlorine kills bacteria. You are the one who continues to argue that chlorinated potable water cannot be used in fermentation. Unfortunately you are wrong. There is not enough chlorine in potable water to do a 100% kill.

I have used chlorinated potable water for fermenting wine, bread, sugar wash and peppers for decades with 100% success. If your chlorinated potable water tastes good it is fine to use in your fermented products.

16. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

I posted results before but they were eliminated because I was right, ask the admins.

17. Holly2015

I'm glad you have found a process that works for you.

18. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

You just love to argue......

19. Holly2015

What are you talking about?

20. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

I'm done with you, talk to the skull.