Fermenting Kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I subscribe to a myriad of food forums......  Hot Pink Garlic Kraut was in this issue of ..  http://nourishedkitchen.com/hot-pink-jalapeno-garlic-kraut/  ....  

That link is there so I don't go to jail for copyright infringement..   The picture made me hungry....  

Grandma made cabbage/beet borscht which was great...  Reminded me of grandma's cooking.... anyway, here it is....

This looked so good.......  Made me hungry...... 

Jalapeno-Kraut-1-of-1.jpg

Garlic and Shallots 100 gms

Red Cabbage 1100 gms, Anaheim Peppers & Banana Peppers 200 gms

My 1 gallon crock with lid made from a plastic cutting board... If you look close, you can  

see the outline and the hole in the center....  A 1 gallon vinegar jug fits perfectly inside

the crock for weight.... This pic is after 16 hours...  No additional water was added.... 

Covered Crock

That color is awesome....  In 3 weeks I will taste test it.....   This is my first attempt at Kraut....

Everything was wiped down with vinegar ... Hopefully to kill all foreign bacteria and keep the 

fermenting process "sanitary", for lack of a better word.....  I added 4% salt, 56 gms, to the crushed

veggies in my first attempt..... several recipes suggested 2%.....  Some don't even give a 

percentage, just a volume measurement for the salt....  So, to be somewhat technical, I weighed 

everything in grams to make duplicating this recipe easy and any future changes necessary

easy to calculate......    

See you in 3-4 weeks......    

PS... the original recipe called for Jalapenos..... I didn't have any 

fresh and the store was out of them.....  I thought a few Anaheim and Bananas might be good.......  

Thanks for looking......     Dave

Can I come over when it's done? My Grandmother used to make homemade kraut, wish I had the crock she used. I could see this in a modified Cuban sandwich, all pressed, hammy, pickled, toasty, cheesy
drool.gif

Sure, I'm just up 97 from ya about 600 miles...  I may have to try that cuban.....    Dave

That's just a Sunday drive! I've always been amazed when I've been on the east coast delivering boats that I can be in a different state each day, and sometimes multiple states in the same day! California coast is longer than the East Coast!

Post pictures of that Cuban if yo do it! I just phoned my mom to find out if that crock is still in the basement of my grandmas house. Last time I saw it was 30 years ago as us cousins were sneaking  pickle's out of it...

I opened the towel today and the aroma was awesome....   Peps and cabbage and garlic and shallots....  Long time to go though before a taste..... 

My pappy wants to make some kraut so I bought him the stuff to do it for xmas. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. It sure is a pretty color!
popcorn.gif

Fresh made kraut has a totally different flavor than it's canned relative. Just like the Korean version....kim chee. The bottled stuff smells bad, but when made fresh, It's a tasty-spicy treat.

They showed a German kraut factory on Travel Channel on TV a while ago. A concrete walled warehouse with 20 foot high walls and a shredder the size of a 18 wheeler truck. They just filled the building with shredded, salted cabbage and waited a few days. Then packaged what was left.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky