Fermented peppers question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I know i can google this....but i would rather hear from our own pros here.

Never made fermented peppers and never ate them.

Other than the benefits of fermented foods, why would one ferment peppers? How do you eat them? How do you make/store them? Does it work with sweet peppers?

Thank you

Check U-Tube lots of good videos.I have 2 half gallons of Reaper sauce going now.
100_7415.JPG

Reactions: MeatSkull
Atomic, morning... I have fermented cabbage and pickles.. maybe other stuff also but my memory is slipping...
it's another process to preserve foods without vinegar.. Uses natural acids formed by bacteria(or something)... I like the clean taste/flavor... Cleanliness is mandatory..
Here's my kraut attempt... It turned out awesome...
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fermenting-kraut.132186/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fermenting-kraut-part-2-follow-up-7-30-14.133850/

I learned you don't want to SUPER clean the veggies as the good bacteria is living on it...

Thank you Holly2015.
Some recipes i saw say i can move them to a cool place for storage. However you said they need vinegar to be shelf stable.
Won't the fermentation alone make them shelf stable (like saurkraut)? I am thinking of feementing other vegs as well (carrots, cauliflower)? Do you see any problem fermenting all together?

Does size of the fermenting vessel matter? Can i go for gallon size?

Thank you Holly2015. Good info.

I am sorry but i disagree about the saurkraut. It does not need to be canned (process that cancels most benefits of fermentation). It will keep for a long time in a cool place (above fridge temps but less than room temps). I grew up with saurkaut from the cold cellar.

Thank you Holly2015. Good info.

I am sorry but i disagree about the saurkraut. It does not need to be canned (process that cancels most benefits of fermentation). It will keep for a long time in a cool place (above fridge temps but less than room temps). I grew up with saurkaut from the cold cellar.
I keep mine in steralized glass in my upstairs fridge along with my pickles.

No one is arguing that chlorine kills bacteria. You are the one who continues to argue that chlorinated potable water cannot be used in fermentation. Unfortunately you are wrong. There is not enough chlorine in potable water to do a 100% kill.

I have used chlorinated potable water for fermenting wine, bread, sugar wash and peppers for decades with 100% success. If your chlorinated potable water tastes good it is fine to use in your fermented products.
I posted results before but they were eliminated because I was right, ask the admins.

I fermented a few jars of sweet peppers and cauliflower. After 10 days i moved them from the kitchen to the cold room; where this time of the year is ...well, cold - but not fridge temps.

Since then the liquid in the jar has clarified - i am assuming the fermentation stopped or slowed down. The vegs taste good.

I don't see a problem with further storing them in the cold room. Does anyone?

Coolroom will be fine. I've let peppers ferment in the living room out of direct sunlight for over a year w/o any issue. A dark cool room, basement or root cellar would be ideal.
Awesome.

I wish i jumped on this bandwagon a little earlier when cucumber pickles where still in season. Oh well...next year.

As usual, it all depends. TONS of variables. I sense the direction that Holly suggests is about optimizing things for safety. IOW sure you could probably keep lacto fermented veggies over the fall and winter but longer than that will require stabilization (vinegar and canning). Refrigeration would also work to keep critters in check. Keep in mind the flavor is affected and most likely many would prefer the flavor of the stabilized stuff over au natural and I would do it for this reason alone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky