1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fermented peppers question

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by atomicsmoke, Sep 22, 2018.

1. pc farmer

pc farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

2. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

I blocked her.

3. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Holly is trying to add very informative information... It's a good thread...

4. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I fermented a few jars of sweet peppers and cauliflower. After 10 days i moved them from the kitchen to the cold room; where this time of the year is ...well, cold - but not fridge temps.

Since then the liquid in the jar has clarified - i am assuming the fermentation stopped or slowed down. The vegs taste good.

I don't see a problem with further storing them in the cold room. Does anyone?

5. Coolroom will be fine. I've let peppers ferment in the living room out of direct sunlight for over a year w/o any issue. A dark cool room, basement or root cellar would be ideal.

6. atomicsmoke

Awesome.

I wish i jumped on this bandwagon a little earlier when cucumber pickles where still in season. Oh well...next year.

7. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

As usual, it all depends. TONS of variables. I sense the direction that Holly suggests is about optimizing things for safety. IOW sure you could probably keep lacto fermented veggies over the fall and winter but longer than that will require stabilization (vinegar and canning). Refrigeration would also work to keep critters in check. Keep in mind the flavor is affected and most likely many would prefer the flavor of the stabilized stuff over au natural and I would do it for this reason alone.

8. atomicsmoke

I do understand the fermentation might continue (subdued) at above fridge temp levels. That is fine...we have a sour tooth.
    I don't have that much to last till spring anyway.

My reluctance to caning or using vinegar comes from the desire to keep the probiotics alive. Fridge is an option too, but i was looking for a sustainable solution.

9. Unpasteurized vinegar contains probiotics.

10. atomicsmoke

20181023_184601.jpg

11. atomicsmoke

I found the last crop of pickles at the farmers market so started a jar for fermentation. 20181029_120909-1.jpg

12. atomicsmoke

Continuing the fermented vegs frenzy: zuchini and more cauliflower
    20181106_210552-1.jpg