• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Feedback needed

Casey6452

Joined Jan 8, 2020
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum but I have been checking it out for a while. I live in South Louisiana where everything we cook has some sort of smoked meat in it! I decided I want to start making my own sausage and Tasso so i started on my own smoke house. I went off of a few designs that I found on here and came up with a final product. I am not completely finished but i have a few questions. It is 4x4x4 and framed with cedar 2x4s and covered with western red cedar planks. I was wondering based on what i have, how can I retain more heat? I plan on hot smoking around 200-250. What would be a good insulator? And should I be able to reach those temps by using an external firebox or will i need an additional heat source?

Attachments

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
I think you should read up a bit more on temps. How much fat do you items have? Anything over 180 can liquify fat. 200 - 250 would be for whole meats and I still don;t cook over 180 when making dried goose or venison, just smoke longer.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.