Favorite sausage and snack stick recipe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Post your favorite sausage or snack stick recipe here.
sausage.gif

Last edited:
For snack sticks my goto is Nepas hot stick recipe.

10 pound recipe
10 pound lean burger or venison (85/15)
2 tsp. Pink Instacure
6 Tbls. Salt
1 Tbls. Black pepper
1 Tbls. Red pepper (I used chipotle)
1 Tbls. Garlic salt
2 Tbls. Accent (opt)
1 Tbls. Sugar
2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Paprika
1-1/2 Tbls. Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)
1 Tbls. Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)
1 Cup water (mix hot sauce into water)
2.5 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid

Mix all together well except ECA. Just before stuffing mix in ECA.
Stuff into sheep casings or small stick size casings (17-19mm).
Smoke 1-2 hours (applied smoke) at 150-160 F. Then bump temp up to 170 till IT measures 152 F. Continue until desired dryness or dehydrate further for slim jim like dryness. Can stop at 152 IT for fresh snack stick style.

5 pound recipe
5 pounds of lean burger or venison (85/15)
1 tsp. Pink Instacure
3 Tbls. Salt
1-1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1-1/2 tsp. Red Pepper (I used chipotle
1-1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
1 Tbls. Accent (opt)
1-1/2 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
½ tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)
2 tsp. Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)
½ Cup Water (mix hot sauce into water)
1.5 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid

I am having trouble with my pepperoni slices shrinking up looking like little Derby hats I am useing a cow intestine for a casing , is that the problem. I need to make 20 pounds for a party and just want to get it right.

Any help would be GREAT

CRSMOKER

Hammie Stix

2lb. Pork (70/30) Medium ground and then fine ground

1/2 tsp Cure #1

2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar

1 tsp Salt

1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

1 Tbsp Onion Powder

1 tsp basil

1 tsp honey

1 tsp Amephos

1 tsp Mustard Seeds

EDIT:: I did add a large cap of Maple extract, wanted to be exact!

I am not sure how the Amephos will work with stix, holding the moisture instead of allowing the to dry out. I am hoping I am on to something good though. But we will see. AND in sheep casings too!

Thanks to Woodcutter, his recipe I believe. I was truely impressed. AND the Amephos made all the difference, so much better than store bought.

Last edited:
SMF had a request from a member for a thread for favorite sausage recipe's so I started one here in the sausage sticky forum. It hasn't been very active and I would like to see more participation. If you are looking for tips, tricks and recipes look in the sausage sticky. You'll find some good information there...........
sausage.gif

Joe

Beef and bean burrito sausage or snack sticks

2 pounds chucky beef ground with 3/16 plate
1 pound refried beans
.25 pounds Spanish rice cooked
6 Tbs potato starch
4 Tbs NFDM
4 oz hi temp cheddar
4 tsp salt
2 tsp course ground black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 white onion chopped fairly fine
4 tsp homemade chili powder (store bought will work)
1/2 - 1 tsp cumin (optional)
2 tsp Mexican oregano
10 grams gelatin powder
1 cup water or beer

Mix all dry ingredients into water or beer, then let sit while you mix the meat.

Mix meat, beans, and rice together well, then add liquid and mix until nice and tacky.

Stuff into hog casings or collagen. I used collagen since some family members are wiggy about gut. If they only knew how collagen was made...

I cook, no smoke, at 170 and go until I reach an IT of 155.

Last edited:
Thought I would share a snack stick recipe I use and like very much.  I just mixed up a batch last night (sorry no pics of the mixing process) and will be smoking them tonight.  I will take pics as I go and post them later tonight or tomorrow.  This recipe has very little heat because my wife and kids balk when I juice it up but I typically do (2) 5lb batches - one hot, one not.  To make this hot just add 1 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1 tsp white pepper, and a tablespoon of Crushed Red Pepper.  

5 lbs Beef Chuck
2 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Cure #1 (level tsp)
1/2 tsp mustard powder 
1/2 tsp nutmeg 
1/2 tsp ground celery seed
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp liquid smoke (i'm sure I will take crap for listing this but, eh, it works and I use a really good locally made liquid smoke)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp corn syrup
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1 cup ice cold water

Mix all ingredients, cover and chill in refrigerator overnight to allow mixture to cure.  Stuff into 19mm or 21mm collagen casing or natural sheep casings.  Hang in a pre-heated 120-130 degree smoker for one hour to allow the casings to dry out.  At this point I do things slightly different than most people in that I kill almost all of my heat (very low flame via gas smoker control all the way on low and an external needle valve on my propane tank to limit it even further) and I put my AMNPS in the mailbox to provide smoke and very little heat.  I allow the beef sticks to come to an internal temperature of 130-140 degrees and at that point pull them out and place them in a non boiling water bath until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees.  I pull them out of the water bath and immediately throw them into my sink filled with ice water to stop the cooking process (the temperature will rise slightly but not much more than 160*).  I then hang them and allow them to bloom for a few hours.  Stay Tuned...

Jim

Reactions: pc farmer
SMF had a request from a member for a thread for favorite sausage recipe's so I started one here in the sausage sticky forum. It hasn't been very active and I would like to see more participation. If you are looking for tips, tricks and recipes look in the sausage sticky. You'll find some good information there...........:sausage:

Joe

Ah, this will get going. I have only made woodcutters ham sticks. Usually use bought seasonings.

I know this thread is old but I will add one of my favorite family recipes. This is a fresh sausage not smoked or cured in any way. This is also a very simple recipe that my family has used for generations and it is a staple on our dinner tables. I generally make larger batches around 20 to 30lb at least once a year. I have never actually sat down and measured everything preciscley so you can taylor this to your own taste.
For 25lb fine ground pork
handful of kosher salt
Around 4 ounces of black pepper coarse or fine ground they both work good.
After that fry up a small patty try it and add black pepper to your liking. I like it with a good bit in but not enough that i am sweating while i eat it.
After that i stuff into regular hog casings
This is one of my favorites and it goes with just about anything. It may be simple but it is especially good made on the grill in a hot dog roll plain or with a little ketchup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky