Favorite Pig Sticker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ricer2231

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Ohio
Do you have a favorite knife in the drawer you always grab first? If so post a pic and a description.

3 Can't Live Without Knives. <$140...JJ

Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" Chef's Knife...If I can only have ONE to do it all, it's this baby...

8815670755358_celum_90621_560Wx490H.jpg

Fibrox Boning Knife 15CM...

8852176601118_celum_116990_560Wx490H.jpg

Fibrox Pro 12" Granton Edge Slicing Knife...

8815123595294_celum_82019_560Wx490H.jpg

Last edited:
I like the knives from Sam's.

I have a few $200 knives that just sit there & I use the cheap ones from Sam's.

Al

I have the same boning and slicing knives Chef Jimmy does I love both of them. Great knives for the price and do the job! I never could bring myself to drop 2 or 3 hundred bucks on a fancy Japanese knife. Not when these do the same thing at a fraction of the cost! My chef knife is a old school Chicago cutlery knife that is my old reliable. It's from back when Chicago Cutlery made the good stuff. I'm guessing it's 30 years old.

I also have a Guy Fieri (sp?) chef knife I bought on Woot just for fun and it was cheap and looks kind of cool. Turned out to be a surprisingly good knife!

Chef JJ's got it covered. Those three knives will get you just about anywhere you want to go in the kitchen.

Old faithful - If I could only have one knife from now on it's gotta be the Victorinox 8 inch Chef. I prefer the wood handled knives for kitchen duty but I'd be just as happy with Fibrox.

Last edited:
I have a hodge-podge that have settled in that I like. I don't even know where a couple of them came from.
IMHO, unless you're a professional, you don't need high $ knives. It's not that hard to keep an edge on them with a good sharpener.
One "go to" knife? No way...

You want to know Who buys or are gifted high end Wustof and Hinkles most often? Newbie Chef's and kids that just graduated Culinary School. Yep...We all dream about them, plan, request or save for one or more...BUT...They are Heavy to work with during a long shift, are so expensive that you make yourself crazy worrying about them Walking Away. Not to mention, in a kitchen with multiple guys, somebody is ALWAYS borrowing your tools and disregarding proper use, like slicing stuff on a Metal table top. So YES most Pro's have a couple of stupid expensive knives but they sit in Drawers or the bottom of Tool Boxes and there are 2 or 3 Victorinox Chef and Boning knives close at hand...JJ
439.gif

Last edited:
I have a Henkels and a Wustof chefs knife.  My go to knife is a Mercer Genesis 8" that I received as a gift.  I don't know how much it costs but I will search for it before grabbing one of my others.

Mike

You want to know Who buys or are gifted high end Wustof and Hinkles most often? Newbie Chef's and kids that just graduated Culinary School. Yep...We all dream about them, plan, request or save for one or more...BUT...They are Heavy to work with during a long shift, are so expensive that you make yourself crazy worrying about them Walking Away. Not to mention, in a kitchen with multiple guys, somebody is ALWAYS borrowing your tools and disregarding proper use, like slicing stuff on a Metal table top. So YES most Pro's have a couple of stupid expensive knives but they sit in Drawers or the bottom of Tool Boxes and there are 2 or 3 Victorinox Chef and Boning knives close at hand...JJ:439:  
Like the knives you see on the back wall at Gordon Food Service, right next to the checkered trousers, double breasted smocks and non-slip shoes?
Bit of a clue right there.....

I've got this 60+ year old knife from my mom's kitchen....   carbon steel...   was a 10" but due to a chip in the blade, it's now a 9"....   Big fat handle...  easy to grab...  the carbon steel is easy to hone and sharpen...    There are no markings that are visible now...     My go to for most everything....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky