Favorite Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Got a Traeger for Fathers days. So far have done a whole brisket, St. Louis style ribs, and a pork butt for pulled pork. I used Traeger Hickory pellets. Did some research and found out that there are a lot of fillers in them. I wanted a 100% single species pellet for smoking so ordered these Q Pellets. Anyone have any experience with these? Or any opinions on what’s the best pellet, who makes the best quality pellet?
40A32831-8C0C-49B8-BB40-200D4442AADA.jpeg

Let us know how you like those. When A-Maze-N stopped selling bulk bags of 100% flavor wood options, I've been on the lookout for a good replacement to burn in my tube style smoke generator.

Costco has 40lb bags of the Kirkland brand...I have been unable to verify who is making them for them.

Always use Lumberjack as well! Competition blend and char hickory so far but have many other flavors as well, just haven't had a chance to try them. When on sale for $7.99 / 20 lb bag I always buy more.

Ryan

I picked up a damaged bag (rip that was taped up) of Kingsford 100% Cherrywood for 5.xx at Wally a few weeks ago. It was only a 20 lb bag and was probably missing a lb or 2, and when my daughter got it out of the truck for me it ripped open worse and dumped out another lb or so..... I did a brisket last weekend but I mixed up a blend of those with some Pit Boss comp blend leftovers. I think original price on the Kingsford was 14 or 15 and change. It had a lot of dust in the bottom of the bag.

brisket was good. I am saving the rest of the cherry hoping to find some pecan now. pecan/cherry blend is my favorite

Always use Lumberjack as well! Competition blend and char hickory so far but have many other flavors as well, just haven't had a chance to try them. When on sale for $7.99 / 20 lb bag I always buy more.

Ryan
thats a great deal! I get them for $10 a bag from a local guy here. I meet him at his job and Venmo the cash.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
So far I prefer LumberJack 100% Hickory. I can buy it for ~$9.00 a 20 lb bag anytime and ~$7.00 a bag a time or two a year.

So far we have tried Lumberjack, Bear Mountain, and Pit Boss.

BM and LJ cooked up nicely while the PB competition tinged everything red (possibly from cherry woods)

BM and PB are stocked close to me but I have to drive about an hour round trip to get LJ from Rural King, if we are going that way we will certainly buy if we need pellets though. While many will swear by LJ, to us BM and PB are just as good for our needs. In my area Tractor Supply is a good source for BM and Menards or Walmart are a good source for the PB.

Cabellas has a pellets that are made by Lumberjack. Allegedly the same raw materials just a different blend than actual LJ brand. I have no first hand knowledge but allegedly they burn a bit faster.

We have not tried Traeger brand and not sure i ever will unless someone gifts me a bag. Much more expensive and they use flavored oils rather than the actual hardwood "flavor" pellet.

For us, since we really like the BM and I can get it locally we tend to set our price limit at BM levels. I can get great to us stuff for $10 per 20 lbs bag so I am not going to spend $20+ for something else.

So far we have tried Lumberjack, Bear Mountain, and Pit Boss.

BM and LJ cooked up nicely while the PB competition tinged everything red (possibly from cherry woods)

BM and PB are stocked close to me but I have to drive about an hour round trip to get LJ from Rural King, if we are going that way we will certainly buy if we need pellets though. While many will swear by LJ, to us BM and PB are just as good for our needs. In my area Tractor Supply is a good source for BM and Menards or Walmart are a good source for the PB.

Cabellas has a pellets that are made by Lumberjack. Allegedly the same raw materials just a different blend than actual LJ brand. I have no first hand knowledge but allegedly they burn a bit faster.

We have not tried Traeger brand and not sure i ever will unless someone gifts me a bag. Much more expensive and they use flavored oils rather than the actual hardwood "flavor" pellet.

For us, since we really like the BM and I can get it locally we tend to set our price limit at BM levels. I can get great to us stuff for $10 per 20 lbs bag so I am not going to spend $20+ for something else.
Glad to hear that about Bear Mountain, have them locally too. Just wasn't sure of how good they are. On sale quite often as well. LJ has been going on sale for $7.99 / 20 lb bag so I usually always buy more...my wife just shakes her head lol!

Ryan

I use a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack cherry and KnottyWood plum for anything I want some deep red color on. The flavor it great, too. But I use a lot of everything Lumberjack and also KnottyWood. I also love CookinPellets apple mash for bacon and pork butts.

I have tried Pit Boss, Traeger and Lumberjack and two other types I forget.

Lumberjack has the best flavor and burns hotter, which uses less at low temps and leaves less (finer?) ash.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky