Favorite Leftover BBQ Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stealthchef

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Nitro, West Virginia
Not sure if this is the proper place, so Admins, feel free to move this elsewhere as you see fit. Did a quick search and didn't see much on the topic.

What's everyone's favorite re-use of leftover BBQ? Having 4 kids to feed and not being anywhere near wealthy I hate throwing away leftover BBQ. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, so I'm excited to see what everyone's got. I'll kick it off with this bit of improvisation:

I called it "BBQ dinner stew" because it has a lot of the things you'd typically find at a BBQ dinner. I literally threw everything into the pot with a bit of pork stock, tomato sauce, and a few shakes of the same dry rub I used on the pork shoulder to begin with.

Nice. Will have to try. I make loaded fries w leftover smoked meats.
Shredded BBQ leftover meat ontop of homemade fries. All covered w melted cheese ontop. Hot sauce is optional.

Reactions: stealthchef
Around here, we LOVE leftovers.  I never make enough of anything for just one meal. 

Whole Poultry:  Whether chicken or turkey, I always ensure there's enough meat left on the carcass to make chicken or turkey soup.  Doesn't matter the time of year.  Smoked chicken and turkey vegetable soup or chicken/turkey potato stew is always on the table.  I just did a turkey a couple weeks ago.  Put the smoked neck and carcass in the freezer.  Will do the soup this weekend probably.

Smoked Beef (chuck, brisket):  Stew and chili are the favorites around here.  Soooo good.  Smoked beef stroganoff is addicting!

Pulled pork and ribs.  We almost never have enough pulled pork or ribs left over to make anything else.  When we do, we make my Quick and Easy BBQ Baked Beans.  Just made a batch this past weekend using leftover pork riblets.  There might be two cups left in the refrigerator.  Not quite as sweet as Dutch's Baked Beans, that's why we like them.  My wife adds pineapple to hers when they are served.  I don't use the pineapple.

Ray's Quick and Easy BBQ Beans

I like to use two 9x13" disposable aluminum pans, one inside the other, for extra support.

Ingredients
3/4 lb thick cut bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares (6 - 7 pieces)
2 cups left over smoked meat, pulled pork, or diced up spare rib trimmings (smoked). 
1 medium onion chopped, sauteed in the bacon fat
55 oz Bushs Baked Beans
1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, including juice (spicy beans work well)
1 can Rotel Tomatoes (original)
7 oz can Ortega green chilis or 1/2 cup green salsa
1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained (optional)

Directions

1. Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Chop into small pieces.  Pour off some of the bacon fat then saute onion until tender.

2. In a double 9x13 aluminum baking pan, stir all the ingredients together.  You can eliminate the pineapple and let people add it to their beans after they are smoked.  

3. Smoke at any temp desired until they start bubbling around the edges.  If using a smoker, 225°F-250°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  If hot and fast on the smoker 325°F for 1 hour 15 minutes.  This past weekend I did them with indirect heat on a 500F Weber Kettle and they were done in 45 minutes. 

Last edited:
When I do pulled pork half is BBQ the other half is Mexican so we can have variety. Nachos,tacos,quesadillas,potato skins,pizza and omlets. Chicken there isn't usally much left and ribs are only ribs in my book. Beef goes to sammiches or shepards pie.

I had some leftover lemon/herb marinated chicken thighs, skinless but not boneless. They had been grilled so they had a bit of nice char flavor.

I shredded the meat off and chopped it up, blended with a mustard/mayo base dressing. Some diced onion and minced garlic. Mixed and served over shredded lettuce in a bowl.

You beat me to the beans suggestion, that's a natural. Some winter night, make up a batch of baked beans from scratch (meaning WAY less sugar) then add something like shredded pork, and let it just go around 200F in the oven overnight. The aroma in the house the next morning is wonderful.

I saw an interesting recipe on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives yesterday...Smokehouse lasagna.

Starting at the bottom the layers were as follows:

noodles,

BBQ sauce

pulled pork

Monterrey jack cheese

BBq sauce

noodles

BBQ sauce

pulled chicken

Cheese

BBQ sauce

noodles

sausage

BBQ sauce

Cheese

inda oven...

It looked fantastic!

All of these ideas sound awesome. Some I've at least kinda/sorta tried (omelettes, tacos), and the rest are going on my list of things to try. Kudos to all.

For leftover PP i scrabmle it with eggs, make tacos, make nachos, and use it in soups/stews.

Brisket, same as above with one addition...  I take left over brisket and put it into a food processor and take it down to almost a paste.  I then add REAL mayo, some dill pickle relish, and minced onion to it and mix it all up.  Spread it out on bread and have some killer sammichs for the boat or hunting blind!

Don't usually have much chicken meat left over, but we save the bones and part and make stock from them for soups.

For leftover PP i scrabmle it with eggs, make tacos, make nachos, and use it in soups/stews.

Brisket, same as above with one addition...  I take left over brisket and put it into a food processor and take it down to almost a paste.  I then add REAL mayo, some dill pickle relish, and minced onion to it and mix it all up.  Spread it out on bread and have some killer sammichs for the boat or hunting blind!

Don't usually have much chicken meat left over, but we save the bones and part and make stock from them for soups.
Hmmm. Brisket salad sandwich. You haven't tried that with pulled pork?

I love the additional brisket idea. Have you ever tried that with burnt ends?

Brisket, fire roasted red bell pepper, cream cheese. Puree in food processor....WHAT!?!?! talk about a sandwich!!!!

I smoke a lot of chicken with the intention of using it in other meals This weekend I'm doing 10# leg quarters (because dark meat taste good!) and then deboning the meat.

We do the Mexican stuff (ench, tacos etc.)

We do chicken pot Pie

pulled chicken sammies

pulled chicken and rice with homemade BBQ sauce

chicken casserole

You can use pulled pork/pulled beef for about any of that stuff too. 

Also BBQ makes a great gift! if i know we are only going to eat half of a butt then i will package half for a family we are friends with.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Two different types of Chili...JJ

Smokin' Butt Chili

4lb Smoked Pork Butt
3C Chopped Onion
2T Minced Garlic
Evoo as needed
4-4oz Cans Chopped Green Chilies, Old El paso or 1lb Fresh Green Chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
12oz Tomato Paste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1/2C Dark Chili Powder...OR... Run for the Border Rub.
2T New Mex Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika
1T Mex Oregano
1T Grnd Cumin
1tsp Grnd Allspice
1tsp Grnd Cinnamon
1tsp Cayenne or to taste, this is Mild.
1tsp Black Pepper
2T Beef Base or Bouillon
2-28oz cans Diced Tomatoes
12oz Favorite Beer

Optional...2-4 14oz cans Beans of choice, drained and rinsed.

This Chili is truly mild. For Actual Smoke add 1 Can Chipotle in Adobo, pureed and/or 3-4tsp's Cayenne or Crushed Red Pepper flakes for HOT.

Saute onions in evoo until golden add garlic and tomato paste and saute until starting to brown.
Add brn sugar and all spices, saute about 5 minutes to awaken flavors.
Add the Green Chilies,Tomatoes, Beer, Base and Pulled Pork. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until flavors combine and Chili is reduced to desired thickness.
Add Beans if using and continue to simmer until hot.
Adjust seasoning and Serve.

I would Smoke the Butt to 180*F IT and cube it then let it finish to falling apart in the Chili.

Good stuff enjoy...JJ

Pork Chili Verde

2C Diced Onion
1C DicedTomatillo (3-4)
1/4C Fine Diced Jalapeno
1/4C Fine Diced Garlic
3T Bacon Grease

Saute above until tender and add next 10 ingredients.

4Lbs Smoked Pork Butt, coarse chopped or pulled in 1-2" chunks.
5lbs Green Chiles, Roasted, Peeled and Chopped
2T Soy Sauce
1T Ground Ancho or Guajillo, or Pascilla or Dark Chili Powder
1T Grnd Cumin
1T Mexican Oregano
1T Grated Piloncillo or Brown Sugar
2tsp Grnd Black Pepper
1tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp Grnd Coriander Seed
1-2C Chicken Stock, or as needed.

1/2C Masa Harina or Fine Corn meal.
Optional: 1 1/2Lb " C " Size New or Red Potatoes, halved.

Bring Chili to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
Skim off Grease and reserve 1/4Cup.
Combine Grease with Masa in a small pan over low heat. Stir together, 1-2 minutes to make a Roux.
Gently whisk the Masa Roux into the Chili Verde and stir in well.
Add Potatoes if using.
Simmer an additional hour or until desired thickness.

Serve garnished as desired. Makes about 1 Gallon.

Garnish:
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Green Onions
Crema or Sour Cream

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky