Fatties, Part Three the finale- smoked it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
This is a three part series:

Part one is the making of a fattie.
Fattie turtorial #1 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...his-is-a-two-part-thread.275822/#post-1834218

Part two is the bacon weave:
Fattie turtorial #2 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fatties-part-two-the-bacon-weave.275824/#post-1834226

This is part three the smoke:

Mother nature wasn't being very cooperative yesterday. She was reminding us of whose really in charge by showing off with a few wind gusts and some on-again, off-again downpours. Because of this I decided to break out old reliable again. Mr. Kettle.

Time to fire her up, with one basket and a weber cube.
DSC00622.JPG

Can't forget the charcoal:
DSC00623.JPG

Starting to heat up.
DSC00624.JPG

A few chunks of apple and two fatties ready to go on their indirect voyage.
DSC00625.JPG

About an hour later they're starting to get their tan on.
DSC00626.JPG

Fast forward another hour. Just like sunbathing on the shores of beautiful lake Champlain.
DSC00627.JPG

Just about done.
DSC00628.JPG

...165* and they're done in.
DSC00629.JPG

DSC00630.JPG

Ooops, rookie mistake. I sliced before giving them a chance to rest and recoup.
DSC00631.JPG

I did manage to sneak in one semi-plated shot while the wife washed her hands. We also had a baked tator.
DSC00632.JPG

Closeup of the diagonal sliced.
DSC00634.JPG

The next day, all sliced up ready for breakfast and vacuum sealing.
DSC00637.JPG

This is the finale to what turned out to be a very long thread(s). Sorry about that, but if you made it through all three phases - I thank you, and hopefully it will aid in helping someone whose never made a fattie do so in the future.

Chris

Thanks for the look.

Attachments

• DSC00633.JPG
    DSC00633.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
That was a great tutorial Chris!
Thank you for taking the time to write it up!
I edited it to include the links to the 2 other tutorials so all three could be viewed from this thread!
Awesome job & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Last edited:
Definitely worth the wait, looks great!

Thanks for the kind words and like Smoke. I really appreciate it. Your correct it was worth the wait.

Chris,
Awesome! You did it once again, another great write up. Thanks!! I’m sure that was a tasteful meal!

Point!

Thanks yankee for the read and like. Muchas gracias. I hope the posts will help someone trying to make their first.

Thanks Sonny for looking and like.

Chris

That was a great tutorial Chris!
Thank you for taking the time to write it up!
Awesome job & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Thank you very much Al, I couldn't have done it without the great folks on this site(past and present), and was a little saddend to find out that the tutorial I originally used when I made my first didn't transfer over very well to the new format.

Also thanks for the like and carousel ride.

Chris

Hey Chris I also just put the links from the first 2 threads at the top of this one, so someone could see it from start to finish.
Once again, great job!!
Al

Thank you Al.

OK Chris, I jumped in. That's a pair of beautiful Fatties.

I went for Hamburger, Milk, and Eggs. Hunnerd dollars later I fled from Sam's Club.
Grandma wasn't too disappointed with me, it was almost all food... cept the beer*... :oops:
I rolled up a Mini-Fattie, diagonal bacon, and it's cookin on the Char-Broil gasser with a bit of smoke from the AMNPS.
So far it looks good, and is got a nice slow sizzel on.
You are a good teacher. And I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker...
Worst case senerio, the dog and I will be very happy pretty soon.

Just wingin it, and followin the flock... :rolleyes::)

This is a solemn weekend for me. A time to Reflect, Remember, and Honor.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Chris. I built my fatty today following your most helpful tutorial in the fridge now! I'll take it out, wrap and start smoking tomorrow with anticipation of some good eats!! I plan to smoke - hickory at 225/235 degrees and plan to take off when the fatty reaches 165 degrees. I appreciate all your hard work to help this newbie. David

OK Chris, I jumped in. That's a pair of beautiful Fatties.

I went for Hamburger, Milk, and Eggs. Hunnerd dollars later I fled from Sam's Club.
Grandma wasn't too disappointed with me, it was almost all food... cept the beer*... :oops:
I rolled up a Mini-Fattie, diagonal bacon, and it's cookin on the Char-Broil gasser with a bit of smoke from the AMNPS.
So far it looks good, and is got a nice slow sizzel on.
You are a good teacher. And I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker...
Worst case senerio, the dog and I will be very happy pretty soon.

Just wingin it, and followin the flock... :rolleyes::)

This is a solemn weekend for me. A time to Reflect, Remember, and Honor.

I read your mini-fatty thread Sonny and it looks like it was a success. Congratulations.

Great series of tutorials Chris. Now everybody should be able to make and enjoy a fatty.
POINT here.
Gary

Thanks Gary, for the kind words and point. I was disappointed when I saw silverwolfs fatty tutorial pictures got lost in the forum upgrade or the photobucket debacle. I referenced it numerous times when I made my first couple fatties.

Thanks again, Chris. I built my fatty today following your most helpful tutorial in the fridge now! I'll take it out, wrap and start smoking tomorrow with anticipation of some good eats!! I plan to smoke - hickory at 225/235 degrees and plan to take off when the fatty reaches 165 degrees. I appreciate all your hard work to help this newbie. David

dwdnlap, Glad I could help you out. That's what this forum is all about. Be sure to let us know how it turns out. If you find that the bacon didn't crisp up the way you wanted, pop the fatty under the broiler for a minute or so, but keep a real close eye on it so it doesn't get away from you. It has happened to me in the past, but not normally, and usually when the bacon is on the thicker side of regular.

Chris

Reactions: negolien
Thanks for the read and likes meatallica, i6quer, and shoebe.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks BKing for the read and like.

Chris

Chris Lookin good I am still without doing one.Its on the never ending list
Happy Memorial Day
memorial_day_two_flags_animation.gif

Chris Lookin good I am still without doing one.Its on the never ending list
Happy Memorial Day
View attachment 365574

Thanks Richie for kind words and like. I understand about the never ending list of things to try. When I make fatties it's usually the day after I have my blood pressure checked and my blood work results are in.

Chris

I go for my blood work this Thursday,it seems mine gets checked around BBQ season. LOL
Richie

It has been a long time since I made a fattie. Your post motivated me and I will be making one very soon. Nice smoke

Thanks rdknb - Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky