Fatties, Part one - how I make them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
negolien negolien thank you for the like - appreciate it.

Chris

Hopefully this will explain how I make my fatties. It's very similar to how many others on this site make them - It should be since I learned how to make them here. Please excuse any of my directions that aren't clear(I will reread this in the morning and make corrections). I smoked some wings this evening and managed to put a few cold PBR's down the old gullet.

The two most essential items. 1 gallon zip lock bags(they don't have to be the freezer style), and the sausage of your choice. I use about a pound and a quarter of sausage for each fattie.
View attachment 365037

Put your sausage into the bag and trim off the two bottom corners. This will allow the air to escape.
View attachment 365038

Flatten the sausage with the palm of your hand to start. It makes rolling it easier.
View attachment 365033

To flattened use a roller and fill the entire bag evenly.
View attachment 365034

Put a peice of plastic wrap down on the counter so the rolling process will be easier. This will also be used when forming the fattie.
View attachment 365035

Cut away the top of the plactic bag. Exposing one side of the sausage.
View attachment 365036

Cover the sausage with a piece of parchment or wax paper.
View attachment 365041

Carefully flip the sausage over on the plastic wrap.
View attachment 365042

and remove the rest of the zip lock bag.
View attachment 365043
Now lets add some topping. This is a meat lovers fatty. So it has ham, pepperoni, proscuitto, pulled pork, blended pizza cheese and pizza sauce. First layer is the ham. I like to use the bigger slices as the first layer. They make a good barrier to help prevent blowouts.
View attachment 365044

Then add your additional toppings. Keeping in mind to not go to close to the edges of the fatty.
View attachment 365040

I like to use shredded cheese in my fatties they seem to roll better.
View attachment 365047

Using shredded cheese also allows the sauce to sink into the cheese so it doesn't squeeze out as much.
View attachment 365050

The yodeling process. Carefully roll the parchment paper upwards. Leaving the plastic wrap on the counter. As your rolling try to keep the sausage tight to itself. Also once you've rolled the fattie up a quarter of a turn slide the whole fattie back to the edge of the plastic wrap.
View attachment 365051
You should end up with something that looks like this in the center of the plastic wrap.
View attachment 365048

Completely cover the fattie with the plastic wrap, twist the ends and spin it around a few times to tighten it up. Then set it in the refrigerator.
View attachment 365049

This is the end of part 1. Part 2 will be the weave. Thanks for looking and feel free to offer up any tips.

Chris
Oh!!! I am SO making this monster! In fact, I will probably make two for leftovers for Mr. Mac & Little Mac for work! I have never thought of adding sliced meats inside the meatloaf....I add cheese all the time....but this looks like a game changer!
Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Reactions: mushroomboots
Oh!!! I am SO making this monster! In fact, I will probably make two for leftovers for Mr. Mac & Little Mac for work! I have never thought of adding sliced meats inside the meatloaf....I add cheese all the time....but this looks like a game changer!
Thank you for sharing your recipe.

When you make them I'm positive you'll love them. They are good. Remember the skies the limit when it comes to fillings. Good luck and enjoy!!! Also thank you for the like.

Chris

moachaser moachaser thanks for the like appreciate it. Sorry for being so late to get back to you.

Chris

Thank you for posting this! Do you have a picture of it cooked and cut in half? My question is when you rolled it, was it just to close it around the fIlling making a pocket or does the meat roll on top of it stuff like a swirl inside?

Thank you for posting this! Do you have a picture of it cooked and cut in half? My question is when you rolled it, was it just to close it around the fIlling making a pocket or does the meat roll on top of it stuff like a swirl inside?

Here ya go. As for how the insides look. It really depends on how much you put in the fatty and how tight you roll it.

Here's another one. As you can see it's hard not to overstuff.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: imhungrymk
Thanks for kind words and like Jax. Someone earlier mentioned that the tutorial most of us used had lost it's pictures during the site upgrade. Well since I knew I'd be making a couple for this weekend I thought I'd give it a go. I know it's not the original, but hopefully it will help someone with their first try.

Thanks yankee, Our family loves these. Give it a whirl and let your imagination run wild with the filling. Just don't overstuff them(like I did on my first two attempts).

Chris
Wait..how can he be a yankee. They don't sell PBRs up there!

Wait..how can he be a yankee. They don't sell PBRs up there!

1607092686077.png

Where is that part in the Bible where Jesus turns water into wine? (Just asking for a friend of mine)

I'm not really into religion, but it's John 2-1.11

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky