Fast food pricing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just hit Taco Bell for one of my semi yearly visits, 2 items, no drink...just under $10. That is insane, the bean burrito that was not super long ago @ $.79 is now $2.49??? I will think 3 or 4 times before I go back.

Luckily Chick fil A is NOT fast food.

We prefer going to lunch at local Mexican restaurants of Chinese restaurants...for the same price as McDonald's, you get a delicious sit-down meal.

Reactions: negolien
I have to say little ceasars is the best bang for the buck but I get tired of pasty pizza after a while lol. KFC has been my go to recently. I do go to McDonalds too I get to Mcdoubles and a large fried and eat the fries while I commute to another city to work. Usually, it's around $8 which isn't horrible as the fries are usually hot and are good size

Reactions: JLeonard
Luckily Chick fil A is NOT fast food.

We prefer going to lunch at local Mexican restaurants of Chinese restaurants...for the same price as McDonald's, you get a delicious sit-down meal.

yup that's true I can't remember the last time I ate in a restaurant. 1 I live in the capital of commiefornia and 2 I have a disabled family member so makes it hard to go to a sit down.,

Value for the dollar at these places has dropped a lot faster than inflation has driven other prices up.
I think it's the difference between a 3% and a 4% unemployment rate. A fast food place needs at least one guy who can speak English and whatever else the rest of the crew is speaking. And he's gotta' know how to operate the computer ordering system. These guys have all left for higher paying jobs and now folks (the 3-percenters) are getting hired that before were the rejects. But you need a lot more of them to get the job done because the ramrod is missing. Fast food price is labor-dominated. If you double the labor cost...
I agree for the same price as FF now you can usually find a diner/restaurant that matches the price, although the hours are probably more limited. Vote with your feet Folks...find these places and give them your business.
I predict the trends are going to force FF to have more limited hours and to limit the menu choices, basically anything that simplifies staffing and needed staff competence.
Personally I still find Subway a pretty good deal. They can get by with just one employee, frequently the manager or a relative so their efficiency hasn't gone down the drain. The price has increased ~40%, but that's true of most labor-intensive "bargain goods".

Value for the dollar at these places has dropped a lot faster than inflation has driven other prices up.
I think it's the difference between a 3% and a 4% unemployment rate. A fast food place needs at least one guy who can speak English and whatever else the rest of the crew is speaking. And he's gotta' know how to operate the computer ordering system. These guys have all left for higher paying jobs and now folks (the 3-percenters) are getting hired that before were the rejects. But you need a lot more of them to get the job done because the ramrod is missing. Fast food price is labor-dominated. If you double the labor cost...
I agree for the same price as FF now you can usually find a diner/restaurant that matches the price, although the hours are probably more limited. Vote with your feet Folks...find these places and give them your business.
I predict the trends are going to force FF to have more limited hours and to limit the menu choices, basically anything that simplifies staffing and needed staff competence.
Personally I still find Subway a pretty good deal. They can get by with just one employee, frequently the manager or a relative so their efficiency hasn't gone down the drain. The price has increased ~40%, but that's true of most labor-intensive "bargain goods".
spitting facts

Thought about this thread the other day. I too do not eat out much, would rather do it myself. Since I've been flying solo this week and the other night didn't really feel like cooking, I decided to order a BBQ Chicken pizza from Jet's. I don't know what all states they are in.

I usually only get one every couple years since the girlfriend isn't a fan. The pizza with a side of their bread sticks, $39.XX and $6 of that was for delivery. By no means am I complaining since I chose to place the order but damn. Last time I got that package it was like $18-19.

Dave

Yep. Time to make your own pizzas. Easy to do, but not as easy as picking up the phone.
Oh yea, I already fell down that rabbit hole a few years ago, I have a pizza oven.

tn_thumbnail.jpg

Made the sausage too.

Dave

Yeah real good pizza is way way to expensive I love mountain mikes but the price is nuts. Last real pizzas I got were round table bout 10 years ago was already 21 bucks for a large

Reactions: Flatrate
For pizza around the Minneapolis area I go to Carbones ( mainly sit down place with a bar) and a large one topping I can pick up for about $17. Back in my beer league softball times (06-14) they had late night happy hour one topping large for $5. Damn I miss that deal.

I use Walmart Great Value Rising Crust frozen pizza and add extra everything from there. Just a few extra minutes and dollars and it's better than any $40 takeout. Secret is to cook on cast iron at 50F over the label.
But those frozen pizzas went from $3.00 pre-Covid to 3.20 to 3,50 and now jumped all at once to $4.20. Still a great deal.
And hoping the extra 40% went to the hourly workers that prepared them, shipped them, and stocked them, I gladly pay the extra dough (yeah, pun intended).

McDonald's announced they are laying off "hundreds" of workers. That sucks for those impacted, but MikkieDs employs 150k worldwide, 45k in the US. As layoffs go, that's pretty benign. But, they'll probably use it as an excuse to raise prices.

McDonald's announced they are laying off "hundreds" of workers. That sucks for those impacted, but MikkieDs employs 150k worldwide, 45k in the US. As layoffs go, that's pretty benign. But, they'll probably use it as an excuse to raise prices.
These are corporate layoffs even though they made record profits....go to keep the shareholders happy. I could care less if they fold, I don't eat there.

Never met a kid who didn't like McDonalds.
But if they're corporate layoffs, it shouldn't affect the local franchise. Probably part of the Jack Walsh mgmt ethos....constantly hire and periodically have a 10% layoff of those who disappoint--keeps everyone else on their toes! (And hating their employer?)

Fast food prices seem to keep climbing. It can be frustrating when you just want a quick meal during long shifts. It's true; high prices can drive customers away. Hopefully, these chains find a better balance soon. I still prefer Korean corn dogs on the street, though. Hang in there, and here's to more affordable lunch options in the future!

Last edited:
Reactions: DemonPit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky