Fast food pricing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1678064198727.png

This is a Micky Ds menu from the 70s. When I was playing hockey in high school during the late 70s we would have burger eating contests on the bus ride home from games. Some guys could pack away 10 burgers plus on a 45 min bus ride. Imagine that cost today? Holy Cow and the burgers back then didn't hide behind the pickle. I haven't been to Micky D's in a few years, but I'm not even sure they have a dollar menu anymore. Like they did when my kids were growing up.

My wife and I stop at a local Puss Bus once every summer to get some old style hand cut double fried french fries and either a Michigan or Minute steak. The bus has been around since the early 40s and granted the prices have sky-rocketed and the quality has gone down some, but the nostalgia is still there. Other than that the only fast food we get is a torpedo from the local store or a pizza from another local place.

Chris

Last edited:
When I was playing hockey in high school during the late 70s we would have burger eating contests on the bus ride home from games.
Ah the memories.
We would often stop on the bus ride in places with multiple choices.
Most mobbed the Mickey D.
One guy would find the KFC for a 2 piece meal and then wander over to the arches for a 1/4#er and a Big Mac

Reactions: negolien
View attachment 659302

This is a Micky Ds menu from the 70s. When I was playing hockey in high school during the late 70s we would have burger eating contests on the bus ride home from games. Some guys could pack away 10 burgers plus on a 45 min bus ride. Imagine that cost today? Holy Cow and the burgers back then didn't hide behind the pickle. I haven't been to Micky D's in a few years, but I'm not even sure they have a dollar menu anymore. Like they did when my kids were growing up.

My wife and I stop at a local Puss Bus once every summer to get some old style hand cut double fried french fries and either a Michigan or Minute steak. The bus has been around since the early 40s and granted the prices have sky-rocketed and the quality has gone down some, but the nostalgia is still there. Other than that the only fast food we get is a torpedo from the local store or a pizza from another local place.

Chris
Wow Chris. Those were the days. We used to stop at Krystal's after a good night of partying because they stayed open late (college town). I could wolf down 10 krystals, some fries and a Coke without flinching.

Wow Chris. Those were the days. We used to stop at Krystal's after a good night of partying because they stayed open late (college town). I could wolf down 10 krystals, some fries and a Coke without flinching.
That was HoJo's for us after a night at the bars. Either the big breakfast one or the big breakfast two. Either choice would most certainly cleanse your system in the morning.

Chris

Bought breakfast for 5 at McDonald's Friday am. Me and the baby only had a sausage biscuit and a hashbrown each. 41$

clifish clifish - it's been 8 or 10 years since I've had White Castle. If I passed one today I'd get a 30 pack and eat until I pass out.

Yes - I'm aware that I'd have to buy some pepto and extra TP. We have Krystal in the south. None around here anymore and they weren't nearly as nastylicious.

Sackful with cheese at Krystal’s is $16 now. Just absurd for absolute terrible processed food. But damn it used to be the best late night drunk food! Chili cheese fries ftw!
Pups and chili cheese fries for the cleanse..... I am real picky about hot dogs but 6 drinks in and those little bastards taste mighty good.

My wife and I in the 80's, used to go to a place in Seattle called Goldie's. It was basically an adult video game arcade. But on Sundays you could $1 beers and 25-cent hot dogs. We'd take a roll of quarters, and that would be a full evening's worth of food and entertainment.

oh the best was White Castle after a night of drinking...but you did regret it the next day.
White Castle was our place to go too but not after a night of drinking, after a night of cruising the local spots around St. Louis. We always went to the White Castle on Natural Bridge Rd. Good times!

Reactions: JLeonard
Its getting crazy for sure.

For Breakfast we go to Hardees(Carls Jr) and can feed 4 of us for $20 bucks for now.

But its not just FF that im seeing it at now. Over the weekend I was in MD and went to a seafood joint that we have gone to for 40 years. Food was still great but I got a platter with Fried Shrimp and Scallops. It also had 2 sides and they were normal portions. But the Scallops I got 6-7 broiled ones slightly bigger than a quarter. The Shrimp were 21-30 size and I got 4 FN Shrimp. I asked the waitress and she was like like I only make $3.75/hr and they don't listen to me. She also said well normally people get the fish and thats bigger so the plate doesn't look skimpy.

What was the cost of these Scallops, 4 shrimp, and a undercooked baked potatoe? $29.99.

Yeah so I have a feeling we are going to start seeing it across the boards and its sad.

Atleast we all can make some killer stuff and the cost per person is reasonable.

Eww I never understood the fascination with white castle and my moms from brooklyn. I guess if you're drunk enough anything tastes good LOL
White Castle was founded in Wichita, Kansas and is credited as being the first fast food hamburger chain. I still eat the sliders. 100% beef with grilled onions. Perfection!

They can be purchased frozen from Walmart. None of the restaurants are anywhere near my area but in larger metropolitan areas.

White Castle was founded in Wichita, Kansas and is credited as being the first fast food hamburger chain. I still eat the sliders. 100% beef with grilled onions. Perfection!

They can be purchased frozen from Walmart. None of the restaurants are anywhere near my area but in larger metropolitan areas.
I saw those awhile back in our Hy-Vee, but then looked on the back at the label... the sodium level was quite high so put them back. Figured I'd save my sodium intake for bacon!

Ryan

Its getting crazy for sure.

For Breakfast we go to Hardees(Carls Jr) and can feed 4 of us for $20 bucks for now.

But its not just FF that im seeing it at now. Over the weekend I was in MD and went to a seafood joint that we have gone to for 40 years. Food was still great but I got a platter with Fried Shrimp and Scallops. It also had 2 sides and they were normal portions. But the Scallops I got 6-7 broiled ones slightly bigger than a quarter. The Shrimp were 21-30 size and I got 4 FN Shrimp. I asked the waitress and she was like like I only make $3.75/hr and they don't listen to me. She also said well normally people get the fish and thats bigger so the plate doesn't look skimpy.

What was the cost of these Scallops, 4 shrimp, and a undercooked baked potatoe? $29.99.

Yeah so I have a feeling we are going to start seeing it across the boards and its sad.

Atleast we all can make some killer stuff and the cost per person is reasonable.
THIS is why I do not want to eat out anymore...bad enough the costs are out of control, but undersized portions and poorly cooked food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky