Failed smokes topic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015
New Orleans LA
Has there ever been a place to post your failures?  I really like seeing not so successful smokes as well as spectacular.  If I've been posting during a 16 hr brisket in the beef section and screw up, send folks to the  failed smoke section to see the results.  Just a thought.

Mike

That would be good,my well done Tri tip would fit right in there.
Exactly b-one!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Mike

That's a great idea, but I'm afraid that it would fill up rather quickly. We've all got some entries that would fit in. In fact, we could have a contest to see who was worst.

LOL Smokin Jay!!
roflmao.gif
"Whoops!"

Anyway, I like the sound of this idea. I hope I wouldn't have to post any pics of my own but you never know!

This will probably never happen....Who wants to be the moderator of the failed smokes section?  
icon_eek.gif

Mike

Here's a failed Sous Vide cook "Carnitas". This was a total fail.

• Topped with my version of Taco Bell Hot Sauce.
 [h3]Taco Bell Hot Sauce (success but can be tweaked a bit)[/h3]
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 16 oz, Franks red hot
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
  • 1  teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
  • 2 tablespoons canned finely chopped jalapeno slices
Place in sauce pan and stir well, simmer at a very low temperature for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove and cool.

Looks Good, Don't It?. Looks are deceiving my friend, this whole 8 pound batch went directly in the trash.

Something happened during the cook that made it inedible.

Ribs Fail, edible but dry

I just pretend I'm camping and need to eat what's in front of me.  Can you imagine how many pics we would see of all my fails?  OMG!

Hmmm, food wise I can't think of too much I have done that I would consider a fail...Sure had some C minus's though. Can say once I tried doing some smoked almonds on a friends Traeger and ended up burning a lot of them. Had some friends that ate most of them and still told me they were good though. I am sure more fails will be on the way eventually..

I would say the biggest fail I had was a couple of times this summer. Had some picture perfect smoking days and I failed to take advantage of them.

Hmmm, food wise I can't think of too much I have done that I would consider a fail...Sure had some C minus's though. Can say once I tried doing some smoked almonds on a friends Traeger and ended up burning a lot of them.
Same problem here on my MES. I eventually found out that hots spots in the MES 30 are a known problem. I now interchange trays during the smoke, and rotate them front to back as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky