Eye of Round?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Question for everyone out there, I can get eye of round for 2.39 lb. Every year I throw a get together for around 20-25 people. My question is if I smoke an eye of round to around 153-155 IT and rest it will it be an edible piece of meat? Was wondering if I could serve it out of a crock pot with au jus to keep it from tightening up. Looking for a cut I can take to the medium- medium well to appease most people. We will also be serving pork loins as well. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.

In my Opinion, the best two ways of doing an Eye Round are:

#2 Smoke it to anywhere between 135° and 143° IT (Your call). Then slice it very thin because it will be a Tough piece of meat.

#1 Sous Vide it like the following, and slice it however you like, because it will be nice & Tender & Tasty:
Eye Round in SV Best of All Eye Rounds (11-21-17)

Bear

Thanks bear. Any recommendation for a cost effective piece of meat to feed a group that can be taken to a little higher it? Really will be pushed for time to do brisket

Cooking that to the temp you're suggesting, it's going to be tough. If it was me I'd spend a little more and get a whole top or bottom sirloin. Our local Sams has CAB Choice cryovac sirloin roasts. Mighty tasty. Either way, slice 'em really thin.

They can be gotten cheap and portion easily . Unfortunately, Eye Round is virtually leather tough cooked beyond 140°, medium. For more well done try restaurant style. You need to slice SUPER THIN, as in lunch meat thin. Kept warm in a Crock Pot swimming in a flavorful Jus, the meat will be tender enough to chew and moist piled on rolls, served Au Jus for dipping...JJ

There is a reason round and eye of round is relatively inexpensive. It has a fairly limited application. For your intended purpose, doing as described above would be my vote as well. Otherwise consider another cut. A Shoulder Clod is another reasonably priced cut that you could consider. It will smoke/roast up well, and is actually a Texas favorite at many bbq joints. In fact it is juicier and has better flavor than a brisket. In fact it is the whole primal cut the Chuck Roast comes from.

I made ~1.5 pounds of Eye of Round roast into Teriyaki jerky yesterday.
So far, rave reviews from the kids.

But probably not what you were looking for....

All the advice is spot on. I would suggest using a chuck roast for pulled beef or even the clod if you are able to find it.

Eye of round is a great cut for making jerky.

Although you don't seem to have the time, I've even done eye of round pastrami via the smoking-sous vide-smoking method. Very tasty.

But agree with others, don't run the IT up too high or you will have shoe leather on your hands !!!

I make Eye of Round all the time. Cook to rare, slice super thin. Makes Great sandwiches.

Thanks for all the replies you all have been most helpful. Scraping the eye of round and have just about got myself convinced to just make the time and do a shoulder clod. I want to do sliced versus pulled anyone out there have any tips or advice on one. Really wanting to know what internal temp I am looking for sliced? I know its a long slow smoke but any and all info. is much appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies you all have been most helpful. Scraping the eye of round and have just about got myself convinced to just make the time and do a shoulder clod. I want to do sliced versus pulled anyone out there have any tips or advice on one. Really wanting to know what internal temp I am looking for sliced? I know its a long slow smoke but any and all info. is much appreciated.

The best Chuckie I ever did was Sous Vide. (138° for 30 hours)

However I never did a "Sliced" Chuck or shoulder clod in my Smoker, but I would say about 190°-195° for sliced.

Bear

Is a 2 hour rest sufficient for a clod? I try to rest briskets for 4, would a clod do better on a 4 hour rest

Last edited:
I grew up in Chicago, famous for its Italian Beef. Eye of Round works great for that. Italian Beef sandwiches for a crowd would be an amazing treat. No smoke involved, though. Just braise it with some beef broth, and tons of garlic and oregano.

Sorry about that 2 hour rest or does it need longer?

It would be good to rest 2 hours, but will be edible immediately. The wrap and rest does a couple of things according to the culinary experts- 1. it allows the muscle fibers time to relax after the smoke. 2. The juices will "redistribute" in the now relaxed muscle so they don't all just run out on to the cutting board when you slice it. 3. Monitor carry-over cooking- leave your temp probe (remote type) in the meat and watch the internal temp continue to climb after you have pulled it out of the cooker and is resting. It is normal for it to rise another 5 or 10 degrees from when you pulled it out.

Also note, that when wrapping, there is much debate about that: aluminum foil vs butcher paper, weather you want crispy bark or soft bark, or just let it cool down in your smoker with no wrap at all! In many cases your timing and schedule will dictate what you do in the time that you have.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky