Exploding Concrete

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tendriver

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I haven't raked leaves in a while, so I decided to get a chimney of Cowboys going on my concrete patio.

I lit it off then went to my storage area to put away some ammo that just arrived. When I got done with that, I checked on my coals. They were ready to go, but I was wearing open shoes. I thought better of picking up the chimney with sandals, so I turned around to go in the house and change when after about 5 steps away I heard a loud BOOM! Turned around thinking I dropped a round in the chimney but didn't know how that would be possible since I didn't open any of the boxes. It was that loud. I saw the chimney laying on it's side, hot coals everywhere, and a chunk of concrete blown out. I was lucky it didn't go off when I was standing next to it.

Note to self. Concrete can explode when heated.....
icon_redface.gif

that comes through moisture in the concrete

When heated it becomes steam
on the surface it is now problem,but when the heat goes deeper the steam can not get out

when the pressure is great enough to break concrete,it does that with much violence

a hole in the concrete,is the consequence

I got a metal bucket that I put a old farm disc on, set the chimney on that, then any hot leftovers get pushed through the hole in the center a the disc.

Also works really good fer my dutch ovens to!

Glad ya didn't get hurt. Excuse fer a new driveway? Naw, momma never go fer that!

Thanks for the info guys. I was telling the story to a friend of mine who grills darn near daily and starts his up the same way. He thought I was nuts and dropped a round down the chimney.

It has been pretty wet out there. Makes a lots of sense.

Wow that was a close one, glad you are ok.

Here's my little badge of honor for this smoke.
points.gif

Here's the turkey breast. First one I've done, next year will probably do a whole bird if this on comes out.

You will get the same thing when using concrete blocks to build a fire in. They will explode and send chunks of concrete everywhere!

Yes concrete blow up it is just like treegje said it's because of air bubbles. The turkey looks good though nice and smoked nicely too.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks guys! First one I've done. Can't believe how good this thing is. Unfortunately it isn't going to make it to dinner tomorrow night. My wife is keeping it for herself. Only a 5 lb breast and there is roasted turkey as the planned main attraction. This one was a surprise. Wouldn't be much than a taste if everyone got some.

Thanks for all the insight, and happy Thanksgiving!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky