Exhaust Placement on UDS and Smoker - Grill Functionality on UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKO96

Original poster
Feb 5, 2022
Hey Guys
I am new here, but am planning a UDS build and have raked the internet with no real answer to this question. Where is the best placement for a UDS exhaust?

I have read that the top is best as it induces the most airflow over the meat, the top side is best because it allows some smoke to linger at the top longer, and the side (2" above the level of where ones food would be) is optimal. I would love to hear yalls take on which placement is best, but I am most curious about how well a side placement would work (2" above food level).
1. Would this create a hot spot on the area of the food closest to the exhaust (even with a diffuser)?
2. Would it allow for more smoke to linger across the top of the meat as the exhaust is a little below the top?
3. Is it more efficient?
4. Does it matter at all?

From my research and experience, it seems that a side vent may promote a more efficient burn as the heat is not going directly out the top, and lead to more smoke exposure for the top of the meat. I am wondering if this thought holds any merit.

Lastly I am planning on adding some grate positions so that I can use my UDS as a grill too as the current grill I have is a POS. Do any of yall have experience with doing this? Will paint hold up to coals pushed against the side of the UDS?

Thanks!

I'd vote top center. Keeps the temps as even and symmetric as possible. Put the exhaust lower and the smoke will take the shortest path out. Any smoke above that point is basically stagnant. It's easy to talk about vortices, not so easy to generate them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky