Ever try to go back to your birth name?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Since about middle school everyone called me Dave. But my name is David, as a kid I thought David was too something (IDK I was a kid in a dysfunctional home…who knows).

When I moved to Utah I thought I would do a reset. Failed so badly…

Now back in CO, it’s sorta working. but people that have known me for decades can’t adjust. Just a random topic.

Reactions: JLeonard
Same here David. I was named David when I was born, and I think that was the last time anybody called me anything other than Dave.

Reactions: sandyut
dcmsh.jpg

I was born Colin Scott, that's Colin with a long O. Like Secretary of State Colin Powell. Got teased as a kid about being an A-hole so Scott is the name I go by to family and friends. For business I like to use Colin but nobody will pronounce it with a long O, its always Collin. So, now y'all know.

All I can think about is the old joke . " Why do you ask Two Dogs ____"
Ironically, nobody is named "Two cats _______"
My name is Pete. I can't tell you how many times I have been called, labeled, etc. as Peter.
I have a good friend that I worked with for many years in the Guard. He calls me Peter and I'm ok with it just because he's from Long Island and hey, dad's away dey tak der..

BTW.. It's called the cat theory in electronics for a reason.

• Haha
Reactions: sandyut and chopsaw
I am a David also. The only people who refer to me as David are those who I am related too. Ever since high school I've went by Dave. My girlfriend of 17 years has called me David once joking around. Other than that my cousin Big L and his son JET call me Davey, and they are the only ones who can.

Kinda the reverse of the above examples.

I'm Ray, just plain Ray. Teachers and school administrators always assumed it was short for Raymond. Nope. Before the introduction of computers, my parents had to show my birth certificate time and time again.

I'm Ray, just plain Ray. Teachers and school administrators always assumed it was short for Raymond.
Had a dude in my squadron whose name was Jim. Not James, Jim. He was first generation Indian-American, and his parents (who were naturalized citizens) were so thrilled that their firstborn was an American by birth, that they wanted to name him an "American" name. So he was Jim. His brother was Bob, not Robert.

Side note - being on deployment to Iraq, with the majority of the third country nationals (TCNs) being Indian, was quite enjoyable with Jim. The first time the TCNs saw him in the chow hall (and his last name) they timidly said something in Hindi... He responded in Hindi, they got excited, grabbed his plate, and ran into the back. He looked at me and asked if I wanted some lamb tikki masala... When they came back with his plate, he said something in Hindi to them, they grabbed my plate as well. It happened every couple of weeks, and made that deployment somewhat more tolerable!

That story is remarkably similar to my experience eating chicken tava and drinking Tuborg beer in the back of Abe's carpet shop near Adana Turkey.
The alley outside of Incirlik air base to be exact.

Last edited:
My given name is Douglas (named after General MacArthur because Mac was my dad's favorite general), but aside from business, everyone just calls me Doug, and I'm fine with that. I can still hear my granddaddy (dad's dad) calling me Douglas MacArthur E******, even though my middle name is James, after my dad.

Last edited:
That story is remarkably similar to my experience eating chicken tava and drinking Tuborg beer in the back of Abe's carpet shop near Adana Turkey.
The alley outside of Incirlik air base to be exact.
Hopefully, you got a great price on those rugs! I remember spending hours chatting, sipping tea, and eating shawarma to get the very best price on rugs at a little shop in Dubai, UAE.

That was my last deployment before getting out, so I went all in on it. Even got four custom tailored suits (that I still have) made at that port visit. I miss the clowns and the experience, but definitely not the circus!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky