EVER SEEN A TRI TIP LIKE THIS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
OK, I'm at the store yesterday & ask the meat guy , do you have any tri-tips. He says no, but he will cut me one. Tomorrow is Judy's birthday so we wanted to do something different & tri tip sounded really good. OH by the way it's stone crab season here now so I bought 2 lbs. of stone crabs & that was for last night. We kind of celebrate her birthday for about a week. Anyway the TT that he cut doesn't look like any TT I have ever seen before. Here are a few photo's of what it looked like, so maybe some of you guys can tell me what I have here. I think it may be just one end of the TT, because the grain is running in one direction most of the way, but it weighs way more than any TT I have bought before. Here's some photos. I think it may be part TT & part sirloin tip, but not sure. So let's see what you guys come up with. I'm still going to cook it like a TT on the Santa Maria grill.
IMG_0566.jpg

Here it is untrimmed out of the container.

IMG_0569.jpg

The other side looks the same. Grain running in the same direction.

IMG_0572_LI.jpg

From this side it appears that the grain changes direction, And one part I can't even see the grain.
IMG_0575_LI.jpg

I'm thinking maybe I have this piece of the TT
tri tip portion_LI (3).jpg

Not sure, gonna cook it the same & find the grain & cut across it where ever it may be..
I have a neighbor from Canada & they have a deli up there called Lester's & they make this fantastic beef rub. Every time he goes home he brings me back a bottle or two. Never had anything like it in the US.

IMG_0402.jpg

So I rubbed the TT down with Lester's & wrapped it in saran wrap & it will be cooked tomorrow for Judy's birthday.

IMG_0578.jpg

Will update tomorrow when I cook this bad boy.
Al

Looks interesting. I would say you are right in your assessment...half tri tip half sirloin tip. But maybe someone with pro butcher experience might chime in. Either way bet its gonna be tasty. Look forward to seeing the pics of it on the SM grill!

There is no way that cut of meat in the first four pics is a tri tip. The fifth pic is definitely a TT.

The first four look like a cross rib roast.

I've even seen phony TTS out here in TT country, but they are using shaped brisket points, not lean cuts of meat.

Boy howdy Al, the only picture that looks remotely close to a tritip to me is the fourth one down. The others kind of look more like a sirloin tip roast. Tritip usually have quite a bit of fat visible also, that baby looks to be pretty lean. Whatever the heck it is I'd bet it'll come out pretty tasty by the time you're done with it! RAY

I don't have much to go by Al, since the only Tri Tip I ever saw was pictures on the Forums.
However it does kinda have the "Boomerang" look about it.
I'm sure you'll make a Masterpiece out of it.
Happy Birthday to Judy!!
Be Back to see how you make out with that Hunk-o-Meat.

Bear

Well this is getting real interesting!
What am I gonna do if it turns out real good.
How will I get the same cut again?
Al

I'd take a couple pics of this one with you, and go to the same Butcher.
Tell him "give me some of these"!!!

Bear

I would say tri tips usually weigh up to 2 1/2 lbs, unless it came from a very large cow, I think I can see where yours weight a little over 4lb. might be a little something else attached to it, either way it looks like a tasty piece of meat.

Happy B-day to Judy, sorry no can help on the TT.

Chris

I’m sure it will be good, I’m just here to watch you work your magic.

Happy Birthday to Judy!

Pretty sure it's a sirloin tip roast. My GF who is a chef pulled up some pics. Just search images of of sirloin tip roast and I think you'll agree. Sad that the butcher didn't know the difference, it sure isn't a tri-tip but I'm sure it will come out tasty just the same :)

Al, say Happy Birthday to Judy for me, and some people I know celebrate their birthday for a whole month....

Definitely NOT a tri-tip but still looks like it will turn out fantastic on the smoker!

Waiting :emoji_confused:

John

I’m glad Publix has started to carry tri tips even though they’re $8-9 a pound even here in Knoxville. That tip roast will make for some juicy pit beef for the brides birthday. Should be rather tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky