EVER SEEN A TRI TIP LIKE THIS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just got back from the grocery store. They had 4 to 5 lb untrimmed Select grade TT's for $2.98/lb. I have several in the freezer so I passed. I trimmed a full pound off the last one I grilled. Rendered the fat for cooking.

Just got back from the grocery store. They had 4 to 5 lb untrimmed Select grade TT's for $2.98/lb. I have several in the freezer so I passed. I trimmed a full pound off the last one I grilled. Rendered the fat for cooking.

Yep, that what I always paid when we lived in CA for untrimmed, $3.98 tops for trimmed. About the only thing I ever pay $8-$9 a pound for is a rack of lamb. RAY

Happy Birthday to your wife. Enjoy the beef (whatevercit might be) and the stone crabs. Sounds tasty. Haven’t seen that steak spice before.

Looks interesting. I would say you are right in your assessment...half tri tip half sirloin tip. But maybe someone with pro butcher experience might chime in. Either way bet its gonna be tasty. Look forward to seeing the pics of it on the SM grill!

There is no way that cut of meat in the first four pics is a tri tip. The fifth pic is definitely a TT.

The first four look like a cross rib roast.

I've even seen phony TTS out here in TT country, but they are using shaped brisket points, not lean cuts of meat.

Boy howdy Al, the only picture that looks remotely close to a tritip to me is the fourth one down. The others kind of look more like a sirloin tip roast. Tritip usually have quite a bit of fat visible also, that baby looks to be pretty lean. Whatever the heck it is I'd bet it'll come out pretty tasty by the time you're done with it! RAY

I don't have much to go by Al, since the only Tri Tip I ever saw was pictures on the Forums.
However it does kinda have the "Boomerang" look about it.
I'm sure you'll make a Masterpiece out of it.
Happy Birthday to Judy!!
Be Back to see how you make out with that Hunk-o-Meat.

Bear

I'd take a couple pics of this one with you, and go to the same Butcher.
Tell him "give me some of these"!!!

Bear

Happy Birthday Judy!

Not a clue, apparently the butcher only had half of one too.

But it'll be interesting to see it cooked up, and we know you'll do it justice.

Watching.

I would say tri tips usually weigh up to 2 1/2 lbs, unless it came from a very large cow, I think I can see where yours weight a little over 4lb. might be a little something else attached to it, either way it looks like a tasty piece of meat.

Happy B-day to Judy, sorry no can help on the TT.

Chris

I'm sure no matter what it is, you'll do it proud. And a happy birthday to Judy as well!

I'm sure you will do it justice and have a great meal for your birthday girl.

I’m sure it will be good, I’m just here to watch you work your magic.

Happy Birthday to Judy!

Pretty sure it's a sirloin tip roast. My GF who is a chef pulled up some pics. Just search images of of sirloin tip roast and I think you'll agree. Sad that the butcher didn't know the difference, it sure isn't a tri-tip but I'm sure it will come out tasty just the same :)

Al, say Happy Birthday to Judy for me, and some people I know celebrate their birthday for a whole month....

Definitely NOT a tri-tip but still looks like it will turn out fantastic on the smoker!

Waiting :emoji_confused:

John

Al Tells Judy Happy Birthday
If you still have your kettle that piece looks like it would work with this.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/picanha-on-the-weber-kettle.291084/

Hope you don't mess up the young ladies B-Day just bustin
Richie

watching...

Maybe he glued two pieces of meat together...

I kid.

I’m glad Publix has started to carry tri tips even though they’re $8-9 a pound even here in Knoxville. That tip roast will make for some juicy pit beef for the brides birthday. Should be rather tasty.

Whatever it is, I will bet it will turns out tender and tasty. Happy birthday Judy!

Yep, that what I always paid when we lived in CA for untrimmed, $3.98 tops for trimmed. About the only thing I ever pay $8-$9 a pound for is a rack of lamb. RAY

Happy Birthday to your wife. Enjoy the beef (whatevercit might be) and the stone crabs. Sounds tasty. Haven’t seen that steak spice before.

Ok guys thanks for all the input. And thanks for all the birthday wishes to Judy. After looking at it again this morning & frying up a piece I think I will treat it like a sirloin tip or round roast. I'm gonna smoke it to an IT of 128, then SV it for 20 hours at 131. Then cool it down & slice it real thin for roast beef sammies. Tonight I have a couple of pounds of Gulf shrimp that we'll put on the barbie! That may be a better birthday dinner anyway!
Al

Ok guys thanks for all the input. And thanks for all the birthday wishes to Judy. After looking at it again this morning & frying up a piece I think I will treat it like a sirloin tip or round roast. I'm gonna smoke it to an IT of 128, then SV it for 20 hours at 131. Then cool it down & slice it real thin for roast beef sammies. Tonight I have a couple of pounds of Gulf shrimp that we'll put on the barbie! That may be a better birthday dinner anyway!
Al

That sounds like a Perfect way of doing that hunk, Al.
Should be Awesome!!

Bear

After looking at it again this morning & frying up a piece I think I will treat it like a sirloin tip or round roast. I'm gonna smoke it to an IT of 128, then SV it for 20 hours at 131. Then cool it down & slice it real thin for roast beef sammies.

I'm kinda thinking I may do something similar when that big ole hunk I got from my buddy a few days ago that I posted thaws out. I hate to end up with a tough chunk of meat. I'll probably have to SV it closer to 135° for the wifes liking.
:emoji_tada: Happy Birthday Judy:emoji_tada:

Im with everyone else Al. Looks like sirloin tip roast to me. I think you have a solid plan. looking forward to also see the stone crabs and the gulf shrimp too when you do!

Happy Birthday to Judy!

That sounds like a Perfect way of doing that hunk, Al.
Should be Awesome!!

Bear

I'm kinda thinking I may do something similar when that big ole hunk I got from my buddy a few days ago that I posted thaws out. I hate to end up with a tough chunk of meat. I'll probably have to SV it closer to 135° for the wifes liking.
:emoji_tada: Happy Birthday Judy:emoji_tada:

Im with everyone else Al. Looks like sirloin tip roast to me. I think you have a solid plan. looking forward to also see the stone crabs and the gulf shrimp too when you do!

Happy Birthday to Judy!

Thanks fellas!
The meat has a couple of hours to go in the SV & we'll see what we have.
Sorry browneyesvictim, we ate them both & never thought to take any photo's. But I will take a couple of them when this thing is done. The reason I don't think it's a sirloin tip is because it has a grain running through it much like a brisket flat, I think it may be part TT & part sirloin, so I'm hoping that sliced thin across the grain will give me a good result. I guess we'll find out pretty soon!
Al

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky