Ever file an amended tax return? OMG!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I had to recently. It really brings out the worst in the IRS/Government. in a word S L O W AF.

Its quite a penalty for making an error.

Never had to do an amended one but I still have to do my in-laws for 2020 and 2021. Hoping the IRS doesn't rape them in fees for filing late but was a true error on their part due to a death in the family. They normally get a very small amount back so we can hope. Still get to do mine for this year too. I hate tax time.

Reactions: sandyut
My son has still not received his last years return Fed of $3300 and IRS site of "wheres my refund" won't let us in anymore. They give you no other info but "wait" I wonder if the same lack of communication would have been the same if he owed $3300?

Too much of a PITA!

the IRS took a month to acknowledge receiving my amended return. then said it would be 4 months till I heard if it was "processed".

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan you are a saint for helping your in-laws with their returns.

My son has still not received his last years return Fed of $3300 and IRS site of "wheres my refund" won't let us in anymore. They give you no other info but "wait" I wonder if the same lack of communication would have been the same if he owed $3300?
See that my gripe too. When we own them its immediate, when they owe us its the slow boat.

My son has still not received his last years return Fed of $3300 and IRS site of "wheres my refund" won't let us in anymore.
I feel the pain Cliff. Last year the IRS lost one of our $18K quarterly deposits so shorted our refund by that much. Tracy had all the receipts and cancelled checks but they kept saying they never got the money. It took almost 9 months of constant fighting until she FINALLY got a supervisor of sorts who got to the bottom of it and processed the balance of the refund. When Tracy asked about them paying us interest for losing our money and being late, just as the IRS would do to us if we were late, the guy had the nerve to laugh at her. Bottom line, unless things have changed, the IRS is the only government entity that is above constitutional law. They know it and there's no accountability whatsoever. They can do whatever the heck they want without fear of recourse.

Robert

Had to last year... Got a notice in July that i would hear something in December.... Got paperwork in december asking for some very simple documents that could have been sent easily and quickly 8 months prior...
Still not resolved... 🙄

Never had to do an amended. So far they've been fairly simple even with investments and TurboTax walks me through it, but next year we're going to have some serious medical expenses to claim and I'm already dreading it.....

Only good thing about farming is taxes have to be done by March 1st here...just gets the pain over sooner but don't dread April at least.

Ryan

I had to a few yrs ago after a 1099 that I had forgotten was coming, came in late. The state form was one page, IIRC the federal forms were 5-6 pages long.

That is BS when they owe you and not paying any penalty or interest fees to you when they continue to use your money.

That is BS when they owe you and not paying any penalty or interest fees to you when they continue to use your money.
its crap alright. If we make an error and owe them more than we thought. we pay interest from the filing date till they discover the issue. But the reverse is not true.

Reactions: Winterrider
I feel the pain Cliff. Last year the IRS lost one of our $18K quarterly deposits so shorted our refund by that much. Tracy had all the receipts and cancelled checks but they kept saying they never got the money. It took almost 9 months of constant fighting until she FINALLY got a supervisor of sorts who got to the bottom of it and processed the balance of the refund. When Tracy asked about them paying us interest for losing our money and being late, just as the IRS would do to us if we were late, the guy had the nerve to laugh at her. Bottom line, unless things have changed, the IRS is the only government entity that is above constitutional law. They know it and there's no accountability whatsoever. They can do whatever the heck they want without fear of recourse.

Robert
Funny on the timing, my son facetimed me and his check showed up today,, quite happy for a 23 year old teacher now.

Every year is an adventure, some years I get $30K back others I pay $40K++++ always depends on business gains/loss or other games to play...in the end it still feels like we keep getting screwed.....just keep saving

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Just got my 2020 Fed refund check. I filed Oct 2021 (had sent a healthy payment in April to ensure I wouldn't have penalties.) I've never had to wait more than a couple months before. The check was about 1% more than I expected, and with no enclosed paperwork explaining why, so I think they did pay me ~2%/annum interest for being so late.

Congress has been mysteriously defunding IRS over the years, even though they're the only branch of govt actually making money, and with covid and folks leaving govt for better-paying jobs I guess it's no surprise they got way behind. And of course now, there's another tax season upon them.

Funny on the timing, my son facetimed me and his check showed up today,, quite happy for a 23 year old teacher now.

Every year is an adventure, some years I get $30K back others I pay $40K++++ always depends on business gains/loss or other games to play...in the end it still feels like we keep getting screwed.....just keep saving
You know that game too huh? :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

I amended mine a few years ago, and they took my payment out of my bank account for the original return, then issued me a refund a couple of months later. So since that time I wait until the middle to the end of March to file my return.
Al

Wait, you guys pay taxes! whats the world coming to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky