Even More Colombian Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I said I was going to do it, and with a few $0.99 butts from the local Kroger here we are. I blew off merguez and the nooch to do this but I still have another small 5 lb butt to grind so we'll see who gets the nod. I'm leaning toward the nooch but I digress. I I-am-Chorizo , BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , thank you all for the inspiration, but I think I I-am-Chorizo wins the kewpie doll for bringing this to the forum. Anyhow, I did the 2 guys version so here we go.

Ground everything thru a 10mm plate. Came up short on the green onions and cilantro as 2 guys called for 10% and 4% respectively but hey.. things happen. I ended up with 7ish and 2.5ish. Other than that I added a touch of red pepper flakes at around 0.15%. I don't have annatto so the color is what it is. Beer was Modelo Especial.

20240502_202201.jpg

Shout out to indaswamp indaswamp for the recommendation on the white gloves to keep the hands from freezing. I didn't feel a thing and this stuff was cold, but we got some good protein extraction. Oh does it smell good. The mix of the onions, cilantro and cumin is very pleasant.

20240502_202848.jpg

It's today and it's going down. The bag sat in the garage fridge overnight. It almost fit in the stuffer... almost.

20240503_145619.jpg

There you have it. 29-32 Syracuse hog casings.

20240503_151013.jpg

Linked up. Eyeballed it and did well right up to the end. Thought I split the difference but hey.. it will eat the same. Might have a few that are too tight, but again they'll eat good.

20240503_151715.jpg

So I'm going to "trust the process" and let these mature in the back bedroom till the morning. Old end table under the ceiling fan. Currently 72F. Dehydrator racks from the Nesco getting some side work.

20240503_153141.jpg

Gotta clean up, so everyone in the pool! Washed all the grinder stuff yesterday and gave it and the stuffer parts a steramine bath.

20240503_154753.jpg

I'm going to fry up a small patty from the excess of the stuffing horn just to get a feel, but from the smell I can already tell it's going to be something like I've never had and darn tasty. Been looking at sides to eat with it and I spied an interesting recipe for Colombian beans...

Thanks for looking, and we'll see you in the morning. Happy Friday!

I said I was going to do it, and with a few $0.99 butts from the local Kroger here we are. I blew off merguez and the nooch to do this but I still have another small 5 lb butt to grind so we'll see who gets the nod. I'm leaning toward the nooch but I digress. I I-am-Chorizo , BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , thank you all for the inspiration, but I think I I-am-Chorizo wins the kewpie doll for bringing this to the forum. Anyhow, I did the 2 guys version so here we go.

Ground everything thru a 10mm plate. Came up short on the green onions and cilantro as 2 guys called for 10% and 4% respectively but hey.. things happen. I ended up with 7ish and 2.5ish. Other than that I added a touch of red pepper flakes at around 0.15%. I don't have annatto so the color is what it is. Beer was Modelo Especial.

View attachment 696019

Shout out to indaswamp indaswamp for the recommendation on the white gloves to keep the hands from freezing. I didn't feel a thing and this stuff was cold, but we got some good protein extraction. Oh does it smell good. The mix of the onions, cilantro and cumin is very pleasant.

View attachment 696020

It's today and it's going down. The bag sat in the garage fridge overnight. It almost fit in the stuffer... almost.

View attachment 696021

View attachment 696022

Linked up. Eyeballed it and did well right up to the end. Thought I split the difference but hey.. it will eat the same. Might have a few that are too tight, but again they'll eat good.

View attachment 696023

So I'm going to "trust the process" and let these mature in the back bedroom till the morning. Old end table under the ceiling fan. Currently 72F. Dehydrator racks from the Nesco getting some side work.

View attachment 696024

Gotta clean up, so everyone in the pool! Washed all the grinder stuff yesterday and gave it and the stuffer parts a steramine bath.

View attachment 696025

I'm going to fry up a small patty from the excess of the stuffing horn just to get a feel, but from the smell I can already tell it's going to be something like I've never had and darn tasty. Been looking at sides to eat with it and I spied an interesting recipe for Colombian beans...

Nice work there. Careful on the air dying for extended time, this can cause a chewy casing and not a clean bite through casing. They only need to be dry to the touch then smoked.

Nice work there. Careful on the air dying for extended time, this can cause a chewy casing and not a clean bite through casing. They only need to be dry to the touch then smoked.
I am worried about the casings, but not as much as room temp time spent.
Great looking sausage.

Jim

Thank you!

Reactions: nlife
I am worried about the casings, but not as much as room temp time spent.
Room temp time isn’t a big issue for food safety because of cure #1 and salt. We keep sausages at about 55* for weeks or or months and they are safe.( more to it than that) But the casing drying can be a problem. Mostly why I prefer a poached or SV finish on final IT of sausage, this makes a great casing finish every time.

View attachment 696019

View attachment 696020

View attachment 696021

View attachment 696022

View attachment 696023

View attachment 696024

View attachment 696025

Wow!

I am so excited about this post. It is an honour for me to see that the recipe has Been well received among experienced smokers. You are doing a great job. As we speak, I am in the middle of the critical process of smoking Kielbasa, but as soon as I finish...I could send You some inspiration pics (and tips) if You are going to cook Colombian beans.

Regards

Albert

Nicely done! Those gloves really make a difference in keeping your hands warm. Also, another tip- I make little marks every 3" along the side rim of the large sheet pan. I used a small 3 corner file....just big enough to see easily, not too deep. I use those for reference marks when twisting links....

Great looking sausage.

Jim

Thanks!

Looks delicious!

Let's hope they are. Thanks!

Room temp time isn’t a big issue for food safety because of cure #1 and salt. We keep sausages at about 55* for weeks or or months and they are safe.( more to it than that) But the casing drying can be a problem. Mostly why I prefer a poached or SV finish on final IT of sausage, this makes a great casing finish every time.
I'm sure it's safe, just haven't done this before. I wanted to follow the way he made them to see how it turns out. I just pulled them out of the back room and bagged them in the fridge til I can vac seal later.

May you all are slaying it with these!! Looks fantastic.

Thanks! I couldn't resist after seeing them myself.

Looking really good. I already have a list of sausages to make so one more won't hurt...

I have one too. Thanks!

Wow!

I am so excited about this post. It is an honour for me to see that the recipe has Been well received among experienced smokers. You are doing a great job. As we speak, I am in the middle of the critical process of smoking Kielbasa, but as soon as I finish...I could send You some inspiration pics (and tips) if You are going to cook Colombian beans.

Regards

Albert

Thanks for the kind words. This recipe caught my eye for the beans https://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/paisa-pinto-beans-frijoles-paisas/

Probably not happening today, buy I'll get to it before long.

Nicely done! Those gloves really make a difference in keeping your hands warm. Also, another tip- I make little marks every 3" along the side rim of the large sheet pan. I used a small 3 corner file....just big enough to see easily, not too deep. I use those for reference marks when twisting links....

Thanks! I had marked it before with a sharpie and it helped but I still ended up with different length links. People like me can be beyond help sometimes :emoji_laughing:

Ok, so its morning and wow did these change color. And oh boy does the back bedroom smell good. Cut shot later after I cook up a few. I don't think the casings dried out too much but we shall see.

Hard getting a good pic without natural light but these will have to do. Thanks for looking!

20240504_050756.jpg

20240504_051040.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. This recipe caught my eye for the beans https://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/paisa-pinto-beans-frijoles-paisas/

Probably not happening today, buy I'll get to it before long.
Hello!

I Checked the beans recipe and it is correct, however, it misses an important trick that will add thickness and color to the Dish. (Take out the carrot, some water, some beans and some plantain from the cooking por and blend it, Then put the resulting mixture back into the pot, mix it and cook for a few minutes more) I also show You a picture on how we server beans at Home.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_140705592~2.jpg
    IMG_20240225_140705592~2.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 12
These were tasty! SmokinEdge SmokinEdge you called it, the casings were a slightly tough, but I powered through that. Next time I'll either smoke them, or if I do the maturation I'll skip the ceiling fan. Either way, nice and juicy and quite the flavor. I think a touch more garlic would help but I love garlic so that's a personal preference.

Nicely done Mr.W.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you!
I bet they do. Would love a nice feed of those in a crusty bun and mustard and onions.

David
I ate them with some prefab lentils but yes, a bun and an ice cold barley pop would go nicely!

Tossed them on the kettle with a small bunch of lump. Warmed them to 150ish then it was down the hatch!

20240504_193959.jpg
20240504_201003.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky