Episode IV: the sausage wars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grouse

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
connecticut USA
Running Tally of sausage mix

10lbs of Venison Kielbasa with marjoram
10lbs of Venison Kielbasa 
20lbs of Venison breakfast sausage
20lbs of Venison hot-dogs
5lbs of venison hot-dogs with Aleppo peppers
15lbs of Venison sausage
10lbs of venison sausage with Aleppo peppers. 

90lbs of sausage for the stuffing.

Breakfast sausage

3lbs venison
2lbs pork shoulder

2 2/3tbs kosher salt
1 tsp cure

5 tbs fine grated fresh ginger

1 tbs ground sage

1 tbs minced garlic (vampire retardant)

2tsp white pepper

My wife likes it chunky so ground it all on coarse and mixed it up in 5lb batches.  vac-packed for over night, Stuffing in sheep casings tomorrow. 

Venison Sausage  
3lbs venison

2lbs pork shoulder

2Tbs sugar

3Tbs kosher salt

1 TBS onion powder

1tps white pepper

2 tps Hungarian paprika

1 tps pink 1

1/2 tps allspice

1/2 tps nutmeg

1tps black pepper

1/2 tps garlic powder

* 3tbs ground Aleppo peppers for two 5lb batches
Again wife likes it coarse ground, though i did run this batch through twice for poops and giggles.  These are going into pork casings tomorrow.

Venison Kielbasa

3lbs venison,

2lbs  pork shoulder 

8tsp kosher salt

1tsp pink cure 1

3 tsp sugar

4 tsp white pepper ground

3 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tsp garlic powder

*3tbs of dried marjoram for winter kielbasa

You guessed it chunky again, will stuff into hog casings tomorrow.

Venison Hot-dogs
3lbs Venison

2lbs pork shoulder

2tbs kosher salt

2 tsp pink cure

2 tbs dry mustard

4 tsp Hungarian paprika 

2 tsp coriander

1/2 tsp white pepper

1tbs minced garlic

4 tbs corn syrup

*added 3tbs Aleppo peppers in 5lbs of this batch.
Ground double fine and emulsified very nicely. These will be stuffed into sheep casings tomorrow, we have done these in hog before and want to try them in sheep. 

For next weekend i have...
I also have curing 1 pork belly in (3) 4lb sections:
Maple syrup cure,
Brown sugar cure,
Black pepper cure,

I also have a 10lb beef brisket curing, 
1 3lb corned beef,
1 7lb pastrami.

I have a leg of pork i will be doing in a ham when i have time.

Must have had cooling water cut into that sausage press to keep it from melting down!

My word that is a load of sausage. Sheep casing? Is that the usual for hot dogs ? For some reason I was assuming that Hot dogs were collagen. All you didn't do was Vienna sausages....LOL

That's too cool. Seems like a bunch of Venison in those sausages. You hit one on the highway?

Must have had cooling water cut into that sausage press to keep it from melting down!

My word that is a load of sausage. Sheep casing? Is that the usual for hot dogs ? For some reason I was assuming that Hot dogs were collagen. All you didn't do was Vienna sausages....LOL

That's too cool. Seems like a bunch of Venison in those sausages. You hit one on the highway?

Hot dogs like a ball park or Oscar Myer are skinless. The meat is filled into a removable casing and is cooked. Then the casing get stripped from the hotdog and "voi la" a skinless hot dog. Cased hot dogs are stuffed in sheeps and cooked/cooled and ready to eat....if you ever bit into a hotdog and it had that snap it was probably in a casing... Dietz and watson makes the best cased hotdog IMHO

Nice load of sausage there Grouse

Last edited:

We tried the hog casing last time. They were a bit big. So we are giving the sheep a go.

CT has liberal deer tags. 10 so far. Season ends 31st of jan.

Nice..................
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky