Enter Fattie Throwdown

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's the spirit! I'm almost disappointed that so many are bowing out or not even attempting just because of the amazing entries so far. Time is one thing--it is a busy weekend--but don't avoid the throwdown just because others seem more creative or adept.

As my wife and I went out to shop for more ingredients this morning, we had both seen the entries as of 7 a.m., and we said that we probably wouldn't eat half of what we could come up with, as far as creative/exotic ingredients and recipes (she still says no about the lamb...). We're still glad that we're going with our boring old standbys, cause it's just fun to "hang out" with you folks!

Here's my entry, be it ever so humble.

Plan is for a PorBufzza fatty. I got sausage and bison filled with Canadian bacon, bacon slices, cheese, sauce, and spices. I'm currently dealing with a Butt right now and will posts pics as I get to that point.

They were cooking for about 4 hours. I cooked all to a 160 internal temp over lump, and a mix of hickory, apple, and cherry. I sliced the one the wife requested (Mushroom, onion, roasted red pepper, sun dried tomato pesto, roasted garlic, and italian mixed cheese), but the rest have to travel for 2 hours, so I have them foiled, toweled, and in a small cooler.

I knew before this whole thing even started that I didn't stand a chance in the creativity department.....there are too many great cooks on this site for me to compete in that arena.

Soooooo, I decided to give a humongous bratty a shot......

This is 3 lbs of bratwurst patties flattened out in 2 separate ziplock bags, then "sewn" together. Topped with traditional brat fare......diced onions....sauerkraut.....mustard....and just because no fatty is complete without it.....an entire bag of shredded co-jack cheese. (forgot the cheese pic...
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
)

Here she is, all 4 1/2 lbs!, rolled up and topped off with some KC rub......

It's on the smoker now ....using Wicked Good lump charcoal and a mix of mesquite and cherry.

Cruising along at 240*.....about 130 internal......SHE'S A WHOPPER!!

Here's the beast just off the smoker at 165* internal.....very minimal weepage....prolly from the sauerkraut....I'm shocked that it didn't blow out!!....

And the final pics.......rested and sliced.....WOW...that KC rub has a great kick to it!!

Hope you enjoyed the show!!.......
biggrin.gif

L8r,
Eric

OK Guys and gals..I've never done a Fattie but I've looked at all these and decided what the hell..I've got a butt on the smoker anyway, so here my attempt....sure hope I don't get a blowout..
First one consist of JD sausage, scrambled eggs, bacon, sauteed diced red and green bells, onion and mushroons, mozzarella, colby, monterey and parm cheese.
The second has the same cheese's and peppers and shroons, spinach, rolled up turkey breast.

the start, now don't laugh.....

Made it this far with no blowouts

Now going on the smoker..will update when done..wish me luck!!!!

just pulled the fatties off the smoker, took a little longer than I expected, guess cause I was using an electric smoker. I put the fatties in the oven for a little bit so I can crisp up the bacon on the outside (I have issues with bacon fat) Will post up Qview pics shortly. Original blow out held up great since I kept it on top

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FATTIES,FATTIES,EVERYWHERE FATTIES.My hat is off to every one.You guys are spankin em out. And once again may I say All HAIL GODDESS for this mighty fine idea of a throwdown....This aint no throwdown its turned into a FATTY SMACKDOWN.........go guys go..........

I started the day with a long run (the run gave me plenty of time to think about what I would make when a got home--plus you gotta take some calories off before you put them back on!). So, here is what I came up with-nothing too creative, but worth a first shot:

Sage pork sausage from the freezer--might as well use it, Rainbow swiss chard from the garden, carmelized sweet Walla Walla onions from my trip there last weekend (sorry to the southern folks, but Walla Walla's have vidalias beat hands down for sweetness!), and some smoked gouda. Smoker is heating up now, but here are some "warm up pix". I'm doing a mess of ribs to go along with the fatty. More pix later.

Good luck everyone, and to those that have posted, nice work
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The spread:

Assembly:

Rolled and ready:

Getting excited a little too early:

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......Do not put mashed taters and velveeta in a fatty...IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!......Needless to say the inside of my fatty is now on the outside of my fatty......HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think I'll grab a beer and try again....yeah thats what I will do
Here I go

Here's my couple.

Applesauce Fattie

Jimmy Dean
Apples
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

apl_efattie.jpg

Pizza Fattie

Sweet Itailian
Pizza Sauce
Italian Blend Cheese
Oregano
Mushrooms

pizzafattie.jpg

El Gordo

Chorizo
sauteed, onion, cayenne, garlic, serrano
Five Cheese Mexican Blend
Cilantro

elgordo.jpg

The trio doing their thing

trio.jpg

biggrin.gif

The beast is done and sliced!! Hope everybody is having good luck with their fatties.....(no blowouts!)

Thank You, BBQG for getting this whole thing going.....I'll be hitting this thread for ideas/recipes for a long time to come!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

L8r,
Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky