1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Enchiladas de Pollo Verde aka Green Chicken Enchiladas

Discussion in 'Nose to Tail' started by chilerelleno, Oct 20, 2016.

1. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Continuing my Mexican recipes from the Veggies sub-forum, I bring you an entree that is a specialty of mine.
    These have garnered me many accolades over the years and even a marriage proposal from a pretty Senorita.
    She said, "OMG, these are better than my Mother's... If you're not married, I'll take you!"

Plate these with my frijoes & arroz and you've a meal fit for a King.

Enchiladas de Pollo Verde aka Green Chicken Enchiladas

4-5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken, boiled and hand shredded
    (today I cheated with some shredded chicken I already had in the freezer, it had corn & black beans in it)
    1 large onion diced
    3 large chile Jalapeno minced
    1 bundle Cilantro
    (use just the leafy greens & tender stems, and chop finely)
    1 large Green Bell pepper
    1 large Red Bell pepper
    1 heaping tsp minced garlic
    1 heaping tbs salt
    1heaping tsp ground Cumin
    4 16oz jars of Herdez brand Salsa Verde
    (or make it fresh yourself, if you can find the tomatillos)
    1 15oz Crema Fresca
    this a thick cream, you can substitute, 'heavy cream' or 'cream for whipping'
    1 large bag of good Tortillas de Maize
    (thats corn tortillas for you gringos)
    1 large round of Queso Fresco- crumbling cheese
    1 lb bag of Melting cheese
    (shredded quesadilla cheese)

Dump three of the Salsa Verdes in a large bowl, add the Crema Fresca and mix.

In a large/deep skillet or soup pot, place your shredded chicken, diced onions & bell peppers, minced chiles, garlic,spices and approx 1 cup chopped cilantro.
    Add four cups of the Salsa/Crema mix.
    Low simmer for a half hour, then let cool.

Add the third jar of Salsa Verde to the sauce and save it to coat pans & top enchiladas.
    This gives the sauce more tang than the chicken, so you have distinct flavors.

Heat a inch or two of oil, and lightly heat/soften the tortillas and set aside.
    Take 2-3 4qt (15x10) baking dishes and cover bottoms with thin layer of sauce.
    Now take a tortilla in hand and fill with enough chicken to allow you to fold it closed, place fold down in pan, repeat, keeping them snug together.
    Just fill them pans up.
    When done rolling and filling dishes, pour sauce over the middle of the rows, liberally cover with the shredded a cheese, and likewise with the crumbled cheese.
    Cook uncovered at 400', till cheese melts and browns.

Money Shot

[/QUOTE]

idahopz and SmokinAl like this.
  2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good and thanks for the recipe. Saw the XD and looks like a Kahr, good taste an nice toys...JJ

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's a great looking meal you put together there!

Everything looks delicious!

Point!

Al

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks tasty, but boiled chicken!!! Mucho Grande better with smoked shredded chicken!

5. chilerelleno

Yes, you could do smoked, but believe it or not, grilled carries the flavor over better in an enchilada sauce.
    Smoked gets hidden in the sauce, believe me, been there.

This is actually more authentic, as in reality a whole bird would be tossed in a well spiced pot to boil for shredding.
    Which l some times do if I don't have a bag of breasts in the freezer.

Tasty grilled/smoked birds should and would go straight on tacos like my grilled thighs did.
    Why hide that flavor?

And this is a time saver for a labor intensive entree.
    No bones, gristle or skin to mess with.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. tjdcorona

tjdcorona Meat Mopper

I am making these today - first recipe I came to, and it looks perfect!
    I have 6 breasts I didnt cook yesterday for laborday meal with family. Theyre in smoker with mesquite wood. I see waht you said about the smoked meat below, BUT - this is a smoking meat forum, and I need that smoker going 24-7 !!

7. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

My goodness, that looks perfect! Mexican is my all-time favorite food.

8. chilerelleno

Al'right, I hope you like them, they're delicious.
    That mesquite should shine through.

9. chilerelleno

Thanks, ranks right up there with me too.