EMERGENCY! Transporting a smoker grill.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpmich

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Central Michigan
How is the best way to transport my Char-Griller Smokin Pro to another location for a party 20 miles away this weekend (09/21/13)  My options are a small POS 4X6 trailer w/6' sides (how do I secure it), or dismantling smoker grill partially and stinking up my passenger van forever by loading it in there.  LOL

Any and all tips appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

Frank, morning.....   Trailer......   or, if it doesn't weigh too much, they make a rack that slides in a trailer hitch receiver...  you could use that...  don't know how you'd tie it down.....    Use your neighbor's car.....
biggrin.gif

You'll need ratchet straps (or motorcycle-type straps) to secure it on a trailer (or in anything else), or adequate rope and good rope skills to secure the smoker to anchor-points or bed-rails on the trailer. Be sure to secure the lids so they will not open in transit. Small and light-weight trailers tend to ride very rough, so anything loose (not hard-mounted) inside the smoker such as grates should be removed and put into a container. Also, consider your analog thermometer(s)...if you use them for chamber temp monitoring, it would be best to remove them and package for transport, as shock from a rough ride may damage them, or at the very least cause inaccuracy, so cal-check/verification should be done after transport if left in place. Lastly, be sure all smoker leg, handle and shelf fasteners are properly tightened before and after transport.

Good luck and have a great smoke!

Eric

Last edited:

DITTO on the ratchet straps
Now SQWIBD, if that is you in the pics,
bravo2.png
.   I, as a former truck driver with over 8 million miles of undamaged freight, I commend you sir for properly tying those smokers down.  You have no idea how many times I have shaken my head at some clown, transporting whatever, passes me with a load, either in a Pick Up or trailer, that if I had it secured the load they were carrying, like that, I would be thrown in jail for.  Many, Many times have I seen that.

battery-062.gif

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

canada-flag-68.gif

Thanks Palladini

That's actually my brother Jim in the above photo, Jim and I picked up a smoker from Chefjimmy and had a few cold ones. Were both excessive when it comes to strapping stuff down.

SQWIB on the left Jimmy on the right.

I might have had everything strapped down good but when I pulled out of Jimmy's and made a left onto the main street, I was so worried looking in the rearview at the smoker that I almost drove into the ditch.

Jimmy was probably laughing his head off

Thanks Palladini

That's actually my brother Jim in the above photo, Jim and I picked up a smoker from Chefjimmy and had a few cold ones. Were both excessive when it comes to strapping stuff down.

SQWIB on the left Jimmy on the right.

I might have had everything strapped down good but when I pulled out of Jimmy's and made a left onto the main street, I was so worried looking in the rearview at the smoker that I almost drove into the ditch.

Jimmy was probably laughing his head off
Well now that changes everything.  Your great at tying things down, but your driving questionable? Now that is Funny!

th_HaHAAHaa.gif

900x900px-LL-1afb5eac_bigsmoker.png

Yeah, I noticed my guy only used two straps, time for a safety meeting!!!
You so have that right, by the length of that device, weight unknown, at least 5 heavy straps would need to be on that under the current load restraint laws in North America.  But because it is a Private Citizen moving it, police and DOT folks will look the other way.  That is until there is a problem and it or parts of litter the Highway,  then they will take notice.

Thank everyone.  You have confirmed everything I was afraid of.

Small wheeled, lightweight, bouncy-bouncy trailer, would shake the heck out of my smoker grill.  I like the idea of the hitch mount, except I don't imagine that would be much of an improvement over the trailer. I've seen these bouncing on back of cars and vans too.  I never thought about it messing up my therms though.  Thanks for that heads up!

So I guess I will take a seat out of the van, lay a tarp down, remove the top of grill & wheels, stow all the loose items in a box,  and stink up the van and drive slow.  Then after this time I will no longer volunteer to take it elsewhere.

cmayna Love the truck!  Just paint it rusty red and put you name on door and it'll be Sanfordized!  LOL

Thanks again,

Frank

Last edited:
Did you measure it?

It just might fit.. you can get a couple inches by removing the stack.

The braunfels would have fit in my old Chevy Venture.

SQWIB... Ya, I measured.  Will remove whole top lid rather than just stack tho.  I've got that all sealed up.

I see you have a similar unit on the hitch shelf thing.  I'm sure you've had someone follow behind sometimes.  Did they ever mention it bouncing or jiggling much?  I have tow package with a 2" receiver hitch on it.

Last edited:
I couldn't remove the lids on my horizontal smoker, so I put a strap around each and laid it down in the back of my pickup and strapped it in so it wouldn't slide around if I had to hit the brakes hard

Have a good time and enjoy the Q.  Oh, and we need pictures from start to finish
biggrin.gif

SQWIB... Ya, I measured.  Will remove whole top lid rather than just stack tho.  I've got that all sealed up.

I see you have a similar unit on the hitch shelf thing.  I'm sure you've had someone follow behind sometimes.  Did they ever mention it bouncing or jiggling much?  I have tow package with a 2" receiver hitch on it.
No body followed it, however those ratchet straps were so tight I could have rolled the truck and it would have stayed put.

My concern was the legs giving out.

900x900px-LL-1afb5eac_bigsmoker.png

Yeah, I noticed my guy only used two straps, time for a safety meeting!!!
Damn that's huge. I don't think I could afford the wood that fuels it much less the food heh heh!

A low center of gravity plays a big part in towing and moving gear, Top heavy stuff is a pain in the arse.

Yes more than two straps are needed lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky