Electric Smoker Purchase Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

•  
  • Bearcarver, does the Gen 1 MES 40" come without the glass? Kind of useless. It's not cheap "feelin?" I can't stand cheap tools. Thanks.
I'm not sure if you can get a Gen #1 without the glass, but I never checked because I love the glass door in mine. I can see what goes on in there without opening the door. I can see if my AMNPS has stopped or jumped lanes. I can see if my probes are still where I put them. I can see what color my Bacon is to see if it's where I want to pull it.  I can see just about anything you normally have to open the door to see. Those who think it's useless either haven't had one or haven't taken the very short time to keep it clean (IMHO).  Either way, it doesn't feel like a cheap toy. A square metal box with a plain hole in the middle of the top seems cheap to me. We all have our own ideas what cheap is, and there are a whole lot of happy MES Gen #1 owners around!

Bear

• Bearcarver, forgot to ask, what model number do you have?
My MES 40 Gen #1 is the following model number and has the following options:

Model # 20070311 ALL SS, door/with window, 1200 Watt heating element,r emote control, wheels/handle, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray.

Bear

Reactions: big fish
I am going to pass on the Smokin-it #3. I figure 1 guy fielding all Customer Service needs - just not for me. What good is a new car without service? All is said and done, I can get support on a less expensive unit and just get support on any smoking forums - no need to shell out $1200 - I was getting all the toys with it. In the meantime, I will just smoke in my $200 WSM clone. My search continues. Thanks for all youz guyz help.

For what it's worth......They have Excellent customer service.  Although I have never needed it there is a forum on their website that answers all questions as well.   The thing about a more expensive unit is that you probably won't EVER need Customer Service.  These units are built like tanks. 

Scott

All is said and done, I can get support on a less expensive unit and just get support on any smoking forums - no need to shell out $1200 - I was getting all the toys with it. Whether you buy a $60,000 Mercedes or a $30.000 Pickup truck, they both need servicing. 4 days, 1 call, 4 emails, one email response? Like I said, I am not looking to bad mouth anyone and I wish the company all the luck in the world. My Customers, I call back within the hour - but I'm a "Mercedes Dealer" kind of Customer Service. I am 1.

I have the same thinking..... worry about the quality of the product, not the quality of the customer service. If you have the first, chances are you won't need the second.
I remember a short time ago when all kinds of folks were having trouble with their new model masterbuilts. Everyone was bragging about how quick and nice the reps were. Everybody had great customer service but no working smoker. And they were singing masterbuilts praises. ????
They'd go a few weeks without a controller and then they would get one that would'nt solve the issue but reps would answer the phone and ask about the weather and everyone was fine. Still no working cooker but at least a friendly voice on the phone. I know.... I had many conversations and emails that lasted thru 3 smokers and 5 months. Finally gave up. Good customer service would have been to have me smoking, not asking how good my day was.
And service on a new car is one thing. But I can guarantee if your new mercedes was in the shop for several months you would not be a happy camper.

Last edited:
I want both - good CS and a good product, period.

I want both - good CS and a good product, period.
That's a very fair request, and the answer is simple. Buy a Cookshack and be done with it.

I went through something similar as you when I was shopping for an electric smoker nearly 11 years ago. I was considering a Cookshack, when I came across a China made clone from a somewhat newish company called Smokin' Tex. I called both companies with some questions I had. At Cookshack, someone answered the phone, answered most of the questions I had, then transferred me to the service manager, who answered the remainder. Around a week of phone calls and emails to Smokin' Tex brought no response. Kind of made me feel like I was dealing with a one person company with a home answering machine, an email address, and nothing more, all of which made me think that if they won't respond to a potential buyer, what's going to happen if I ever need service.

I obviously went with Cookshack, and with frequent use in all manner of weather conditions, it continues to work flawlessly. As such, I've never had a need to contact them for service in over a decade, but it's comforting to know that someone is always there to answer the phone or respond to an email should something ever come up.

Also, you should know that the backbone of their business for over 50 years is commercial, rather than residential. Somewhere along the line they simply downsized some of the commercial units and started a very successful residential business, though they operate as a single entity. By the nature of their operation, which includes being the sole vendor to a large number of multi unit chain restaurants, a full time support staff is mandatory.

BTW, Cookshack is offering a 10% Father's Day discount on their smokers through June, 13.

Good Luck.

Yippee!!!! I bought a SI #3 Doing the smoke dance!!!

I busted out and did some rethinking. Thanks for the folks who helped me see things in a different light.

Reactions: marauder
Congrats BigFish!!
icon14.gif

Can't wait for all the QView!! 
beercheer.gif

Enjoy!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky