El Pollo Loco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
When i grew up in S, Calif we had a chicken fast food chain open up. Mind you the small desert town i grew up in only had 9000 people back then.
The chain was El Pollo Loco Chicken. Back then it was just marinated chicken and warm flour tortillas. The place evolved over the year with more food choices and expanded in the western states. (BTW) Any of you old timer Californians remember Shakeys pizza, Straw Hat pizza and Pioneer Chicken, Bobs Big Boy, Sambo's)

I'm making my old fav marinated chicken

My dry items.
IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_7239.JPG

Wet items.
IMG_9673.JPG

Mix everything (except chicken) together.
IMG_7168.JPG

I'm using a 2 gallon zip. (put on some sort of cookie sheet just in case it leaks.)
I left the limes in there, you can add oranges the same way. Zest em up some too
IMG_4046.JPG

Going for an overnight marinade. Turn the bag over a few times during marinade to get all the chicken seasoned.
IMG_6067.JPG

See ya tomorrow

Recipe.

Marinade: 1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
1-2 pinches saflour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro seed)
6 cloves garlic, minced

Yeah going on the kettle tomorrow.

winchells dohnuts, spud nuts, naugles, del taco, a&w, purple pup. Most are prob all gone. Remember Gemco dept store, eating at the food bar at woolworth, coronet, shopping bag mkts, safeway, ralphs, stater bros, charliebrown farms

Reactions: ofelles
We had a "Bob's Big Boy" in Quakertown, PA---My Birthplace & where My Heart still resides.
Be back to see the finished shots!

Bear

Some cornbread to go with the crazy chicken tonight.

Famous Daves mix.

IMG_4675.JPG

I rubbed buttah all over the top while its still hot.
IMG_4453.JPG

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah going on the kettle tomorrow.

winchells dohnuts, spud nuts, naugles, del taco, a&w, purple pup. Most are prob all gone. Remember Gemco dept store, eating at the food bar at woolworth, coronet, shopping bag mkts, safeway, ralphs, stater bros, charliebrown farms
Thrifty, 5cent ice cream cones. Oh yeah, you mentioned a lot of the throwbacks. Good times. Thanks for sharing

Yup Thrifty Drug store. I wanted one of those fancy scoops they used.

Decided not to use the SnS and went vortex style. And since i dont have a vortex (yet) i went with the poortex.
IMG_2635.JPG

Let the coal burn down some and get ready for crazy chicken.

Sounds and looks great. The marinade sounds really tasty...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky