El cheapo digital thermo they're better than you think

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dodgeramsst2003

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
S.E. Michigan
I just bought 2 smart bbq remoted digital thermos at wally world on clearance for $11 each. I tried one out the other day on my new drum for a season/burn. My regular dial thermo read 250 deg while the digital read 350. Figured great, I just bought two of these cheap digitals and they're gonna suck. Well I figured I should boil some water and test them, turns out the digitals are right on and the mechanical one is 100 deg low. Good thing I never used that one before!!!! So, since theres no adjustment on the dial, in the trash it went. Gonna have to make a habit out of testing them when I first buy them instead of letting them sit for a year and losing the reciept!

I have the same one and love it.

Yes Walmart, that is just another way of saying I guees.

hmm, have to look into this - remote digital thermometers are pretty rare in the uk and seriously expensive when you find them.

Walmart you say, have to drop my sister a line and see what she can find up there in canada :-)

RichT,

I'm an instrumentation technician and I spend all day convincing people that the electronics are right!! I just have a general feeling that "cheap" electronics are somehow not going to work properly. weird thing is I bought the mechanical one at gordon foods where a lot of restaraunt/caterers buy their stuff!! Oh well, i still want the omega thermocouple transmitter, but the price tag is stopping me for now, but not for long. how much of a geek would I be if I could show you the temperature logs for all my smokes? lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky