Eggs Trader Joe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I started getting my eggs at Trader Joe's because so much cheaper. The cage free been $3 but recently went to $3.80. These have been the best eggs. They have the nice orange yolks and whites don't run. Better than the farm eggs I was getting. It a bit of a drive so I get 6 dozen. If you have a Trader Joe's might check them out. Even as prices go down I will make the drive.

I love Trader Joe's I only wish they were closer to where I currently live. Previously lived 1/2-mile from a trader Joe's and they have excellent stuff at great prices.

The eggs at the Trader Joe's near me gets cleaned out quite quickly. I know for a fact they ration their restock on some items. I'll have to run by and see what their current egg sit is. Eight to ten days ago they were cleaned out of eggs and the cheapest empty shelf tag was over $5/dozen.

Reactions: JLeonard
I’ve been getting a local farms gorgeous few range brown eggs. Huge eggs, lot of double yolk and nice whites. She’s getting $2.50 a dozen right now.

I’ve been getting a local farms gorgeous few range brown eggs. Huge eggs, lot of double yolk and nice whites. She’s getting $2.50 a dozen right now.
With the cost of feed and egg cartons I don't know that she is even breaking even. Of course some people just enjoy the chickens my wife does but I would like if they would at least cover feed costs which seem to be rising weekly

With the cost of feed and egg cartons I don't know that she is even breaking even. Of course some people just enjoy the chickens my wife does but I would like if they would at least cover feed costs which seem to be rising weekly
They were $3 a dozen but she dropped them down last week. I think they have over 100 hens. It’s a little self serve barn with a full size frig jam packed top to bottom with eggs always.

I'm not getting rich from selling, just helps with the scratch and mash.

I get from 8-12 daily.

Todays basket.
teggz33.jpg

Aldi's owns TJ and many products are carried at both. Might not be labelled exactly the ssme tho. Thanks for the heads up!
That's a common misconception, but Aldi, as we know it in the US, and Trader Joe’s are independently owned and operated companies with no joint relationship. That said, there is a distant connection of certain descendant members of the family of Aldi's founder.

Reactions: zwiller
We also have Lidl here now as well, a bit larger version than Aldi. That is one of the few things I like about Long Island. I have a TJ, Wholefood, Aldi, Lidl and about 4 more grocery stores in about a 2 mile range.

The German Albrecht family that owns Aldis, among others, purchased TJs back in 1979 from the founder of TJs, Joe Coulombe. The German family patriarch died in 2014 and his heirs inherited the company lineup, including TJs.

I cant remember who suggested but that Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Coffee Buzz Bar is freaking good!

I don't know if it was me or not, but I'm down to two bars. Time for another trip to TJs to reload. I'm generally not a chocolate guy, but DANG, when the sweet tooth hits, that's a chocolate I have to have on hand.

Edit: Uh oh. I may be the guilty party. Brian, check your "What's Your Comfort Food" thread.

Last edited:
That's a common misconception, but Aldi, as we know it in the US, and Trader Joe’s are independently owned and operated companies with no joint relationship.
I agree you are technically accurate here but they definitely share distributors/suppliers or have some sort of working relationship. I go to both and can tell. Bet the Aldi eggs are the same eggs as TJ. Dang history of Aldi is as confusing as Audi AG LOL.

The German Albrecht family that owns Aldis, among others, purchased TJs back in 1979 from the founder of TJs, Joe Coulombe. The German family patriarch died in 2014 and his heirs inherited the company lineup, including TJs.
You're kind of going in the right direction, but the facts you stated are off quite a bit.

Aldi's origins go back to the early 1900s when a certain Mrs. Albrecht founded a small local store in Essen, Germany. Following WW II, her sons, Karl and Theo took over the store, changed the merchandising concept and expanded throughout Germany and other parts of Europe under the name "Albrecht Discount", which was later changed to Aldi.

In the early 1960s, after a disagreement on whether the store should, or should not, sell cigarettes, the business was split into 2 entities known as Aldi Nord (North) and Aldi Sud (South). Karl took the locations in Southern Germany south of the Ruhr river plus the rights to those in the UK, Australia, and the US. Theo got Northern Germany and the rest of Europe.

In 1979, Theo purchased TJs as personal investment, not as an investment by Aldi Nord as that would have been in conflict with Karl's Aldi Sud's holding rights in the US.

Theo passed away in 2010, and Karl passed away in 2014 and their individual Aldi holdings are held in separate family foundations. Theo's individual holding rights in TJs are held in a separate family trust.

Thus, you have 3 separate and individual companies that have no common ownership, legal, financial, or operational relationships whatsoever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky