1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Easy made souse

Discussion in 'Nose to Tail' started by buzzy, Feb 7, 2019.

1. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Made souse from the pigs we butchered 2 weeks ago. The recipe says pigs feet but as u can tell it’s the hocks with the ankle & the front knee & ankle. U need the joints to make the jell. I doubled the recipe because of having 4

2 pigs feet
    2 1/2 c vinegar
    1 c water
    1 Tbs coarse pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 c chopped onions
    1 tsp crushed red pepper

Mix all ingredients in crockpot. Then lay legs in it. Put on low for 8 hrs. Pull meat an shred by hand into scrapple pan. Pour broth over meat. Sometimes there is more broth than needed. Ur never sure how much meat ur going to get. Just make sure to get seasoning off bottom of pot to mix in meat. Put in frig overnight to firm up AC63D550-4885-4074-901D-558243BA320D.jpeg Chopped onions C83B57B7-9BDA-4AB3-A86E-4B5382461B9C.jpeg Everything in crockpot DF0A5D51-8070-417C-820B-184F07CE8C87.jpeg 8 hrs later A24F240D-F08E-4638-A24A-6D0FEBB2E8AD.jpeg Pan after night in frig with first slice taken out. Didn’t get pic of pulling meat. Hot meat & messy hands to take them EF91CAE6-A5E7-40D2-8722-B94184586FC6.jpeg Plated shot. Thanks for looking D6B14127-220D-47B2-BB1D-CC5E20DEDDDB.jpeg

2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Huh... when I read souse I thought of the carribean version I saw on Bizzare foods. Which is more of a super spicy chilled soup esque thing..

I am curious, can I do this with beef shanks?

3. buzzy

Couldn’t say for sure I have only made it with pork but I don’t see why not as long as u get plenty of joints to get the jell. Isn’t much meat on a beef shank is there? U could do a tongue with it to chop up & mix in. Be like pickled tongue in a loaf.

4. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Get plenty of these and you may not be able to tell, nor would it matter!!!

5. buzzy

:emoji_laughing:. That an be able to eat a whole pan at one sitting

6. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

I've just never seen pig's feet/trotters around here....and I'm pretty sure adding gelatin ain't a good plan..sure looks different though!

7. SunnyDC

SunnyDC Fire Starter

My grandaddy made souse and I LOVED it as a kid -- not sure I've had it since I was a teenager, though. I am adding this to my to-do list, though... thanks for sharing! :)

BTW... they carry pig feet and all manner of other assorted things like that at the Asian markets around here... but I don't imagine there are Asian markets in *every* city.

8. buzzy

Sunny thanks for the like

9. I was thinking of Hog Head Cheese!!

10. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

Some horsey sauce and I would eat the whole pan. Looking really good.

11. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The Souse looks great! Lots of folks are not fond of Cold Jelled Meat preparations. Usually saying the texture is weird. Grandma made a similar Polish dish with pig's feet called Zimne Nogi. She used several to get enough meat. There was a much higher aspic to meat ratio. Looked more like Shredded Meat and chunks of veggies suspended in really firm Jell-o. I remember there was Carrot, Celery, Onions, Garlic, Marjoram, Thyme, a Bay leaf and some S&P in the broth, Mom said Allspice too. We ate it cut in thick slices with White Vinegar drizzled on top.
    On using Beef Shank. I doubt there is enough collagen to get a firm enough aspic to support the meat. You can add Ox Tails in part or entirety in the recipe. Or add 2 Envelopes (2Tbs) Knox Unflavored Gelatin per Quart of liquid used. Follow package directions for use...JJ

crazymoon likes this.
  12. buzzy

Thanks chef. That is something I could never figure out is how to get meat to not all sink to bottom. Don't care to use gelatin. I use enough meat to fill pan 3/4 full with enough juice to hold everything together. Not a lot of just jell. That does turn people away on sight. Just yesterday a buddy said I like the taste but don't like the feel in my mouth. Good ! More for me.

13. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you want to suspend the meat in the Gel, you need to strain the solids from the broth, strain the Broth again through 4 or more layers of Cheese Cloth to clarify it a bit, if you desire. Refrigerate the Meat and Broth until it thickens to point it looks like thick Egg Whites and slightly lumpy when stirred. Now break up the meat and gently fold it in using a rubber spatula. Fold bottom to top, gently, until uniform. Refrigerate until set firm...JJ

14. buzzy

JJ thanks again. I need to make note of that for next year. This a once a year thing. Thats what I think is great about this site. Info on how to make just about anything ( food )

chef jimmyj likes this.
  15. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

One of my favorite snack foods. Great post and all the added post info to help make the job easier. As said always someone offing an easier way or another way to complete the job.

Warren

chef jimmyj likes this.
  16. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

JJ Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

17. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

B, Your souse looks delicious ! I could go for a few slices ! like

18. buzzy

Crazy appreciate the like