Eastern Europe Kishke Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I've eaten Kishka in L.A. and thought nothing of the origins. Now, I enjoy making sausages and I looked into the ingredients and how to make it. I was quite surprised to find about every country in Eastern Europe has their own version, many using blood as a main ingredient. Well, not much blood available in the markets nowadays so I went total veggie with mine except for the lard and chicken stock. Could not find chicken fat (schmaltz) so hence the lard use although any oil would do. And, I added mushrooms to mine because I had them and like them and thought it would provide an earthy taste to the Kishka. Now, these can be formed into logs wrapped in foil and baked but I stuffed into hog casings and poached off in chicken stock. After an overnight rest I'm thinking a skillet saute with maybe some onions in the pan. This also, IMO, would make a great starch, much like stuffing, alongside a roasted chicken and is traditionally served with some gravy over it. Pretty interesting stuff, I must say, & I'm OK with anything covered in gravy. Of course, I really bumped up the BP and paprika called for in the original recipe and added about 2 tablespoons of ground Chipotle pepper for kick & color and it seemed to be just about right for me. I'm now wondering how some ground chicken thighs would do in there making it a full meal deal....taste and texture was quite good. I doubled this amount and added at least 3 tablespoons of paprika and 12 cloves of garlic. This would also work with Panko, ground fine in a FP, if no matzo meal available. I used half matzo meal & half Panko.

1⁄2 cup/120 grams schmaltz

1 Spanish onion, cut into large dice

5 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife

1 large carrot, peeled and cut into large dice

2 large celery stalks, cut into large dice

11⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt

11⁄2 cups/210 grams matzo meal (or
6 squares of matzo, well pulverized in a food processor)

11⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika

2 large eggs, beaten

1⁄4 cup/60 milliliters chicken stock

Heat 1⁄4 cup/60 grams schmaltz in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook it all for a few minutes, stirring, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, another 30 minutes or so. Transfer the vegetables to a plate to cool.

In a food processor, combine the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, matzo meal, pepper, and paprika. Pulse the blade a few times to distribute the seasoning. Add the cooled vegetables, the remaining 1⁄4 cup/60 grams schmaltz, and the eggs. Process until it’s uniformly combined; it should hold together when squeezed. If it’s too dry, add another few tablespoons of schmaltz or 1⁄4 cup chicken stock and purée some more.

If roasting, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.

Divide the kishke onto two sheets of parchment paper or foil, and use your hands to roll it into two 8-inch/21-centimeter cylinders, then wrap in the parchment or foil, twisting the ends to tighten. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes. If serving right away, allow the kishke to cool for 20 minutes before un- wrapping and slicing. Otherwise, refrigerate the wrapped kishke till you’re ready to reheat (in the microwave or oven, or by slicing and frying).

Poach the kishke in poultry stock at just below a simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes (don’t worry, you can’t overcook it). Or, if you prefer, place the kishke in an oven-safe casserole dish, cover with simmering hot stock, and place in a 200°F/95°C oven for 45 minutes.

ground up after cooling off

poached for 30 minutes....not paying strict attention I had 2 blowouts

nice color and they do swell up as mentioned in the recipe

held together well.....

Willie, morning.... My N. European Grand Mother made Kishke... She stuffed a pastry triangle like Won Ton and put them in a chicken soup... You are bringing back memories from the 1950's.... The family sitting at G-Ma's dining room table... stuffing ourselves with "heart healthy" great tasting food...

Dave

Willie, morning.... My N. European Grand Mother made Kishke... She stuffed a pastry triangle like Won Ton and put them in a chicken soup... You are bringing back memories from the 1950's.... The family sitting at G-Ma's dining room table... stuffing ourselves with "heart healthy" great tasting food...

Dave
Nice to get a memory stirred up every now & then, especially if a good memory. My x's grandparents exposed me to Kishke probably 40 years ago and all of a sudden the desire for some struck. Sounds like 'kreplach' is what you're describing....much like raviolis, small dumplings filled with just about anything finished off in the soup pot. Amazing to me how they stretched everything and used everything to survive. There were some very hard times in Eastern Europe and many of the recipes were still made here after they immigrated.....lucky us, we can still find them. Heart healthy (LOL)....yep, my Grandmother ate all the fat on whatever meat she had and loved the bone marrow.....lived to mid 80's, go figure

Got my memory stirring also.  My grandfather died at age 90.  I remember when he come over to visit from Germany he loved anything that was fatty.  We took him up to Canada fishing and on the way up he ate 2 sticks of butter like they were ice cream.  I made a fresh picnic fishing with him once and he wanted the fat on the outside and nibbled on the skin.  He told me not to take the skin off.  The next day [it was cold overnight] the remains of the meal was there with some meat lift over.  However the liquid turned into fat and he used that to spread on pieces of bread.  Reinhard.

Got my memory stirring also.  My grandfather died at age 90.  I remember when he come over to visit from Germany he loved anything that was fatty.  We took him up to Canada fishing and on the way up he ate 2 sticks of butter like they were ice cream.  I made a fresh picnic fishing with him once and he wanted the fat on the outside and nibbled on the skin.  He told me not to take the skin off.  The next day [it was cold overnight] the remains of the meal was there with some meat lift over.  However the liquid turned into fat and he used that to spread on pieces of bread.  Reinhard.
HAH......amazing Grandpa story....forgot about the butter consumption. Somewhere, buried in a box, is a baby picture of me in a high chair eating a stick of butter in my hand. That's probably considered child endangerment nowadays. My x-sister in law was from Austria.....spread saved goose fat on toast ever since childhood. She just kept it out at room temp in a jar much like some used to do with bacon grease. I'm sure some of it hit the pan of fried potatoes as well.

looks good willie.. Be careful I might steal it from you..............

looks good willie.. Be careful I might steal it from you..............
Well, I'd consider that an honor...someone with your sausage making skills making it again. Still entertaining the idea of some ground thighs in with the veggies and see how that flies. But, so many more to delve into.....in my head Chorizo & Andouille are demanding to be made.

What a fun thread!

Having been raised on much Eastern European food - from Borscht, to cow's tongue, stuffed cabbages, and so it goes - it is always enchanting to read of things which do hail from such traditions and parts of the world.

Your rendition looked great, and the photos too!

Cheers! - Leah

I was looking for another Recipe and stumbled on this...Looks Great...BUT...Lard and Pig Casing!?!  Jewish Grandma's are Spinning in their graves...Oy Vey!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky