Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Theresa, I saw an episode on Alton Brown where he made his own liquid smoke. All he did was suspend a metal bowl of ice above the exhaust vent of his smoke and when the smoke condensed on the bowl, the condensation dripped off into another bowl. The type of wood used determines the flavor of the smoke.

Would have loved to see that Dutch! So theoretically(sp?) anyone could make there own liquid smoke....might have to try that, I love experiments.

i havent found the actual episode yet but here is the script of that show..

After some googling, found the information on making liquid smoke at this site. See Scene 8, or just find the episode “Urban Preservation II†on making Beef Jerky.

Wow, thank you very much teacup
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
I am gonna try this the next time I smoke and will take pics!!!!

btw... thank you dutch for this recipe...

i grabbed a can of maple flavored beans by mistake and the bacon i used was also maple smoked(labelled wrong)..

i also added a can of great northern beans(white beans)...

the missus loved them tonight... she thought they were the best thing i made tonight... so
frown.gif
and
icon_lol.gif

My Mom just requested that I bring a batch of these Wicked Baked Beans when I visit this weekend! Funny thing is, she only had them in passing a few months ago! Sure made a good impression! Thanks Dutch!

Well payson, everyone should know by now, "Mother knows best"!!
cool.gif

Enjoy the weekend!!

Dutch,

We are planning on attending a pig roast next weekend. I asked the host ".... Do you want me to bring my smoker so we can add ....." Thats all I got out of my mouth before she said "those beans you did a while back, yea tha would be great" .............. I said sure. The funny thing was that I was gonna offer to do briskets, but your beans trumped brisket! Beans it will be! I'll still sneak a brisket on. It should be a fun filled weekend with great eats. Thanks again for sharing your recipes.

Someone earlier in the thread asked which flavor of Bushs baked beans did you use? I didn't see an answer,
May I ask that question again? it would help me with the flavoring if we knew what you used.

Thanks.
Mike

Mike, I saw that post too. I bought "regular" or "original" or "homestyle", whichever of those works. Not onion, bbq, etc. Since we're all about playing with flavors, I used chili sauce instead of ketchup. I put in one whole seeded jalapeno and barely tasted it, it was perfect because I don't like a lot of heat. The smokiness was awesome. I also chose to not saute the veggies and made the chop size bigger, the result was a slightly crunchy bite, which I really like, it added texture. My wife kept shoving the pineapple chunks out of the way (I was watching) because she didn't want to try them. Once she was about out of beans, she ate one and liked it. Most of the pineapple flavor renders into the dish.

I like this recipe and will make it again in a few days.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try your method and see what happens.

haven't done anything besides meat on the new smoker yet.

I Like the veggies idea, cut them a little bigger and they retain some of the crunch. Makes sense,

Thanks again
Mike

Dutch,

I didn't read through all the posts, but I have young girls and they don't like things too spicy. Have you made these without the mustard & peppers? What were the results?

Thanks!!

i have made them w/o the peppers; i have never used the mustard. they are good still. better with the peppers. i use the peppers that are in the little cans, already diced. they do have the seeds in there though, so be careful.

Scotty, the original recipe didn't have the jalapeno peppers and called for for diced green bell peppers and prepared mustard (the kind that you put on briskets and butts before applying the rub).

I kind of like things kicked up, so I added the jalapeno pepper and changed the mustard to the dry mustard and added the disclaimer at the end.

Dutch,

Thanks for this recipe, I am going to try it this weekend... gonna smoke up some pork for Mama's Day; this will be a great addition to the table!

Hawg, it's SO worth doing this recipe in a foil pan, not glass.....I learned the hard way never to put glass in my smoker again! Good luck, they're quite tasty. I'd also say put them over meat, not under, on your racks.

Thanks for the info!

My smoker is a CG, no over and under racks. I figured I'd put the pan at the opposite end from the firebox...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky