Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have heard of these elsewhere! I will get my bf to make some on his smoker this weekend. It is much bigger than my little one. Thanks Mr. Dutch!

Thanks Tonya-yeah this recipe has made it to a bunch of sites and it always seems to be a hit. Let me know how they turn out for you!

Enjoy~

Folks, I made two single batches of my beans 1 mild and the other with 4 jalapenios) to take to a family cook-out and send-off for my nephew-he starts Air Force Basic training on the 1st of June.

Anyhoo-to make transporting these beans easier, I did them in my standard and my deep 10 inch dutch ovens. A single batch will fill the standard 10 in. oven almost to the top. The volume of a standard 10 in. is 4 quarts (16 cups). The volume of the deep 10 in oven is 5 quarts which is great if you want to give the beans a good stir with out loosing any over the side of the pot.

So now after all these years of making my beans, I can finally answer the question "How much will a single batch make?" -the answer is 4 quarts; as for how many it will serve really depends how how much you give out. :biggrin: A 4 ounce serving will yield 32 servings.

2 questions since I am a first timer making this recipe or any baked beans for that matter. In going I have the smoker going at 300 for some hot and fast butts. How long should I leave them in? It is there a visual clue that they are done. Also, does the smoke make a big difference? If not I will go with the oven for convenience. Thanks!

2 questions since I am a first timer making this recipe or any baked beans for that matter. In going I have the smoker going at 300 for some hot and fast butts. How long should I leave them in? It is there a visual clue that they are done. Also, does the smoke make a big difference? If not I will go with the oven for convenience. Thanks!
I really like the smoke, it's not overpowering or anything.  The more you stir, the more smoke flavor you get. You can leave them in as long as you want, I do them with ribs sometimes at 225-240 for six hours or so.  Even then we like them baked even longer the next day in the oven before serving.  For me the key is to watch the top, if they start looking dry on top it's time to stir.  As far as being done, they're technically done when you combine all the ingredients, the bacon and veggies are cooked, everything else is edible as is.  I usually sneak a little taster bowl right after I mix them up.

Reactions: kmdennis
Thanks Tonya-yeah this recipe has made it to a bunch of sites and it always seems to be a hit. Let me know how they turn out for you!

Enjoy~
Mr. Dutch your beans are in the smoker & they look wonderful! I will let you know how they are :)

Dutch, Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.Smoked them step by step. One batch with the Jalapenos (for me) one without for the family. Got rave reviews and personally, best beans I have had. Next time will add another Jalapeno to mine ... as I like a lot of heat. Awesome, awesome recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. Will be making these regularly! :)

Thank you, Dutch!!!!    -  I made these beans over the weekend with 1 change. I did not add the dry mustard, only because I forgot to buy it. haha  They were such a big hit with our friends. Next time I will leave out the jalapenos. The heat was not too much, but my wife and I prefer the sweetness over the spiciness for baked beans. As long as there is room, I'll probably make these every time I smoke meat. 

Wow, Thank you Codymort-you join SMF and your first post is to comment about my beans! I am truely humbled, thank you. By all means-and I've said this repeatedly throughout the 15 pages this thread has ran-change them up to suit you families taste.

Now that we have the important stuff out of the way, please swing by Roll Call and introduce youself to the rest of the SMF family!

Enjoy the Smoke!

Dutch. I have posted your recipe to some hunting an fishing sites that i frequent . But you always get credit!. 

Dutch your beans are the best I've ever tasted!! I'm not a real big baked bean fan but yours I can eat a whole plate of! I have a guy at work that wants to buy a tin of them from me. You knocked it of the park with that recipe. OK ass kissing session over.

Wanted to wait until I had something to say before I joined the forum.  Friend linked me to this recipe so today I gave it a try.
Have to say these beans were fantastic......friends were going back for 2nds and 3rds. His wife who doesn't like beans loved them as did their daughter. Followed the recipe to a T with exception of the mustard as I didn't have any handy....was plenty good with out it.

First recipe I can remember where I can taste all of the ingredients one by one but yet none over power the recipe...all are distinct. From the pineapple to the jalapeno, onion and the bacon...all added a unique quality to the beans. 
Fantastic. .....cooked them on my new Lang I just got on Friday.....this will be a BBQ staple around here from now on I think!  Thanks. 

[Hmmm.... Someone mentioned this recipe on another post and I had to check it out. I do believe this will be my side for Fridays first ever smoke. Menu is now whole butterflied chicken and these beans.

eman-thanks for getting this recipe out there amongts the masses!
Brooksy-Thanks for the kind words!
KevinWI-Yeah, this recipe has a way of getting past peoples "I don't like beans" attitude!
Bubba-Sounds like a great meal there!

Enjoy!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I forgot to sautee the veggies after cooking bacon. Oops. Smoked/cooked beans with ribs for 5 hours. Didn't notice a difference in taste/flavor/texture and they were just as delicious as the first time I did following recipe exactly. Just wanted to share :)

That's OK, kmdennis. I've done that, I did an off site cook for some friends and left the propane bottle for the propane stove at home. Big Oops.

Thanks for sharing!

I've made this several times and it always comes out great!  Just curious, does anyone know the significance of the temperature target?  If the bacon is already cooked separately, and the beans themselves are already cooked out of the can, why is the need for hitting a specific temp?  Is it just to make sure the ingredients blend to taste correctly, or is there a safety aspect still as well?  

Manman, the purpose of putting the beans in the smoker is so the beans will take on some smoke flavor. The heat will also help the different flavors meld together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky